OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

pretty good upgrade....UPDATED with story.

Started by MDbowman, May 04, 2013, 02:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDbowman

Friday morning found a friend and I sitting along a creek where birds are known to roost. As the sky began to brighten the first gobbles from 3 or 4 birds rang out in the distance on the other side of the creek which was off limits to us. I knew there were guys hunting over there and thought they would be having a fun morning. Soon a closer bird gobbled, maybe 250 yards, but again on the other side of the creek. It was the only thing we had a shot at, so we moved down to where we were just across the creek from the bird and began to call. For over an hour I worked on him and kept telling my buddy if those guys get on this bird he is going to die. I have pulled them across this creek before but this bird, this day wouldn't come across the creek bottom to our side. Eventually all the gobbling got the attention of the other hunters, we heard him quickly moving away and then BANG. Heard later he was a real hammer with 1 ¾" spurs.

Yesterday morning after a blown roost set up I told my buddy we needed to split up to increase our odds of hitting a gobbling bird. I hiked about a quarter mile away, called and immediately got a distant response. I hit him again just to be sure he really gobbled at me and got a quick response. I headed in his direction as far as I was allowed and after another couple gobbles figure not only was he across a 2 lane road, but on the back side of a big fenced in area. Challenges, challenges, haha. Actually my first thought was here we go again! At least I knew there were no hunters where the bird was. I sat down and started in on him and he was happy to oblige any of my calls with a booming long gobble....but not move! It sounded like he was giving it the 50 yd up and down strutting routine but wasn't coming around the corner of the fenced area. If I could get him around the corner he had a straight 200 yd shot at me and I was hoping I could bring him in. After one of my calls I heard a second bird on the other side of the road but way to my right. The bird I have been calling to was on the left. Bird #2 was closing in and Bird #1 was not a fan of any competition. He came around the fenced area and was closing in on the road pretty good now. And Bird #2 was still closing. Wasn't long before I could tell bird 1 was on my side of the road and coming in. I was set up on a clear area and he hit the bottom end of the clearing ~60 yds from me and went into strut. I scratched in the leaves, he gobbled and began working my way but hugging my edge so I couldn't see him well. I heard him walking into the woods, readjusted, saw him hit an opening 30 yds away and greeted him with a load of Hevi 7's.  Sure am glad Bird #2 showed up on the scene because I am pretty sure that sped things up considerably!

21 lb 1 oz
Beards 10 7/16 and 8 3/8
Spurs 1 7/16 1 3/8
Score 86.8

derek

Congrats again on that HAMMER!
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

canadatom

BowBendr

Outstanding gobbler ! Congrats on your best ever !!   :you_rock:

derek

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

Fullfan

Oink, oink, oink.....  Congrats on a Hawg........
Don't gobble at me...

DMP