OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Got a 870... Now what chokes for fed hw #7's?

Started by IowaGobblers, May 01, 2013, 09:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaGobblers

So i got on board the 20's with a used 870 in really nice condition. I plan on shooting fed heavyweight #7's maybe, maybe Hevi-13's. What chokes do you guys recommend for the 870 with this? Anyone shooting Sumtoy?

buckeyejim

Call William at Sumtoy and dont look back.I shoot an 870 LW 20 w/28 inch barrell and his choke with the heavy 7's is one BAD mammer jammer! Just flat nasty.  Good luck with whatever you choose I am 100% certain I made the right choice first pop.

gophert

My Indian Creek .555 shoots everything well.  I would say if you are going to spend good money for a quality choke, do with Indian creek or sumtoy and don't waste your money on anything else.

sent from Tim's Tweaked Out Evo

wvboy

Tru-lock makes a choke specifically for the Federal Hevi #7s  .. I have my son's youth gun setup with it and it patterns good to 30 yds with 2.75 inch .. good to 40 with 3 inch shells.. but he can't handle the 3 inch quite yet ..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

remmy1187

Quote from: gophert on May 02, 2013, 08:35:48 AM
My Indian Creek .555 shoots everything well.  I would say if you are going to spend good money for a quality choke, do with Indian creek or sumtoy and don't waste your money on anything else.

sent from Tim's Tweaked Out Evo
Couldn't agree more with Gophert

R AJ

If you get the Sumtoy choke you want the 562-5 choke for the Remmy 870 for the fed HWs in #7 shot.

longbow59

Primos JH .570 on a 26" barrel, shoots great.

PEHunter

I just picked up 870 with 26"tube a couple weeks ago myself, and am shooting Fed HW#7's.  I got a JH .570 in it now and seem to be shooting fairly well.  I haven't had the opportunity to pattern it alot at this point, but I am happy so far.  If more patterning doesn't give me the results I want, I am going to try a Sumtoy based on everything I have read on here.  Good luck and keep us posted.  ESB

gophert

Quote from: PEHunter on May 06, 2013, 08:54:57 AM
I just picked up 870 with 26"tube a couple weeks ago myself, and am shooting Fed HW#7's.  I got a JH .570 in it now and seem to be shooting fairly well.  I haven't had the opportunity to pattern it alot at this point, but I am happy so far.  If more patterning doesn't give me the results I want, I am going to try a Sumtoy based on everything I have read on here.  Good luck and keep us posted.  ESB

If you want a sho nuff shooter, polish your barrel and then go buy an Indian Creek .555.  With that 26" barrel, you will put up some nasty patterns with Feds or Hevi.  I shoot IC on all my 870 20's for one reason, they shoot the exact same every shot!  I can pretty much guess what the pellet counts will be before shooting when comparing different exit diameter IC chokes and my handloads.  Just keep in mind however, it is going to be tight at 15 yards, so a scope/red dot may be needed, but I can tell you, you will not be disappointed.

Sumtoy on the other hand is a very good quality choke, I just have never used them so I do not have first hand knowledge.