OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

835 barrell porting...advice please

Started by chadabear, March 08, 2011, 11:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadabear

I have an 835 Tactical gun, my dad has a standard 835 ultimag with a 23" barrell. His gun has the factory ports in the barrel which helps to cut down on the kick imo, I have shot both with the same load and his gun doesnt kick like my tactical. My question is, if i was to take a peice of paper and a pencil, and rub in the pattern of his ports and measure the distance from the end of barrel, then drill the same exact holes in the same exact place as his, would it hurt?? I have a small brake caliper hone that I was told by my gun smith to use to de-bur the inside of the barrel, but has anyone done this and it turned out for the worse on the way the gun shot?? does it effect the pattern any on a shorter barrel, mine being 20"?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Its Mardi Gras here in La, raining outside, I work for the state and I'm off...TOTALLY BORED and lookin to tinker with something...lol.

Thanks Guys for any advice
God Bless
Chad
1 Samuel 12:24
But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you.

Skeeterbait

I dont know that the ports really make that much of a difference in recoil.  I suspect stock geometry and a few less inches of barrel weight is effecting your felt recoil on your tactical more than anything else.  Why not swap the barrels and fire a few first to see if you really feel any difference?

If you have a drill press and can properly space and clean/cool drill the holes and then debur the inside I dont think it will hurt pattern.  Going to loose a bit of velocity and make the gun louder to the shooter and anyone standing beside you.  Location apparently isnt critical as I have two 24" barrels made about 6 years apart and the ports arent in the same location on the two.  I am concerned though on a 20" barrel if once you back up from the muzzle enough so as not to effect the choke, will you be too close to the welded lug that attaches the barrel to the magazine tube?  I would not want the holes directly above the lug or behind it.  Needs to be out away from possable hand position.  That may be why Mossberg does not put them in the 20" barrels.

VAHUNTER

i'm with skeeter . i really do not feel that the ports take away enough of the felt recoil to warrant drilling ports in a barrel. they do indeed make your gun louder in a blind or other close quarters.
Good things come to those who wait

SR1

If you want it ported send it out and have it done right all it takes is one slip and you are buying a new barrel. Porting isnt needed but like I said if you insist on it have it done its cheap.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

archery1

my thoughts exactly. why waste a good gun. these ports dont make recoil much better...just louder. don't try it and damage your gun
Take a kid hunting

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: VAHUNTER on March 08, 2011, 12:07:54 PM
i'm with skeeter . i really do not feel that the ports take away enough of the felt recoil to warrant drilling ports in a barrel. they do indeed make your gun louder in a blind or other close quarters.

I agree totally!

new2turkey

Quote from: Skeeterbait on March 08, 2011, 12:01:36 PM
I dont know that the ports really make that much of a difference in recoil.  I suspect stock geometry and a few less inches of barrel weight is effecting your felt recoil on your tactical more than anything else.  Why not swap the barrels and fire a few first to see if you really feel any difference?

He may see a difference but it could be from the extra 3 inches of barrel as well...

tnturkeykiller

I own  two 835s one ported one not IMO the only thing ports do is make it hard to clean

new2turkey

I don't notice a sound difference in mine... It may be because I have a 28 inch barrel so not as much gas forces its way through the ports.