turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Just cant justify a 20 over a 12??

Started by IowaGobblers, April 23, 2013, 07:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaGobblers

I understand that there are benefits with a 20 that you are unable to get with a 12 but the 12 has more bb's and the ability to reach out there a little further.  What is it with a 20 that out weighs what I find better benefits with a 12?

Tom Foolery

Lighter, shorter and with the new HTL loads all the range anyone wants.  A lot of birds have died over the years with 12 gauge lead loads that won't come close to the numbers that a 20 will put up with HTL.  It's hard for me to justify a 12 after using my 20 gauge this season, really hard actually.  I have 2 good shooting 12's but neither gives me anything over my 20 except weight and recoil.  My patterns are not as good as a lot of them on here and I honestly have a soild 10yd cushion if I misjudge one at 40yds, I really don't need anything else.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: Tom Foolery on April 23, 2013, 09:21:18 AM
Lighter, shorter and with the new HTL loads all the range anyone wants.  A lot of birds have died over the years with 12 gauge lead loads that won't come close to the numbers that a 20 will put up with HTL.  It's hard for me to justify a 12 after using my 20 gauge this season, really hard actually.  I have 2 good shooting 12's but neither gives me anything over my 20 except weight and recoil.  My patterns are not as good as a lot of them on here and I honestly have a soild 10yd cushion if I misjudge one at 40yds, I really don't need anything else.

This.

I carried a 12 some this season and will probably continue to do so, but my little 20 will kill one plenty far enough.

remmy1187

Quote from: Tom Foolery on April 23, 2013, 09:21:18 AM
Tom says it all, I have no need to go to my 12 guage if I am putting up patterns just as good with the 20 with much less recoil and weight, etc.

Sand Man

I can promise you that my 20ga with 21" barrel w/reloads patterns as good as any 12ga with over the counter ammunition.  If we talk reloads, then yes the 12ga is still king.  However, how dead is dead?

The entire reason I turkey hunt is getting them in close and fooling the bird.  If it was for just meat, I'd use a rifle.   :fud:

The 20ga will kill a bird further than I need to be shooting at one to enjoy this game.  So for that reason I carry the 20.  It's much lighter and easier to carry than the 12ga and the barrel hardly sticks above my head on my shoulder to grab every limb I walk by.  Plus if I need to one arm jap a turkey that walks up behind me I can do that with this 20ga.  ;D

I've only converted 7 hunting buddies to 20's that thought 12's were the only way to go once they saw how lethal it was and how enjoyable it was to carry/hunt with.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

FullChoke

You kill a turkey by shooting him in the head, not the body. The pellets from a 20 gauge shotgun are leaving the barrel at the same speed as are the pellets from a 12 gauge. By taking a little time and asking questions on here, you can put together a deadly 20 gauge combination of factory loaded shells and a commercial or custom-made choke tube that will concentrate an inescapably lethal pattern centered on the turkey's head at 40 yards. They will kill him. Out to 40 yards. Dead. Focus your attention on what is needed to kill him dead. It is not one's ego that does the job. This is being proven over and over again by the exponentially growing pile of dead turkeys who's last sound that they heard in this world was the roar of a 20 gauge shotgun.

Dead.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

FL-Boss

I have a new 11-87 super mag 12ga... nice gun but a little heavy.  thinking about dumping it for this SA Turkey Thug 20 ga... http://mossberg.com/product/shotguns-autoloading-sa-20-turkey-thug/75782-0

I hate the idea of mossberg.. but I hear their guns are better when compared to 20 years ago (last time I had one) Plus this is the only 20 ga that is close to what I want.

howl

If it helps you out, consider that was not made by Mossberg. Mossberg has them made mostly to their specifications by an outfit in Turkey.

IowaGobblers

Thanks for all the replies.  I might just have to pick me up a 20

gophert

Are any other words needed?  Just get one...it's just money.

FL-Boss

I just ordered a Moss SA20 - on the 20ga bandwagon now...

IowaGobblers

Besides the 870 what would you guys recommend?

remmy1187

I have 2 870's setup and I just added an 11-87 sportsman and so far it has been great.  It is throwing some really awesome patterns with Hevi 7's. 

gobblergls

Quote from: IowaGobblers on April 23, 2013, 04:15:59 PM
Mossy Super Bantam.  5.25 lbs.  It comes drilled and tapped for scope or red dot mount.  It has a camo finish.  With the right choke and load, it takes a back seat to no gun.

nogoodreezen

Quote from: gobblergls on April 23, 2013, 07:23:31 PM
Quote from: IowaGobblers on April 23, 2013, 04:15:59 PM
Mossy Super Bantam.  5.25 lbs.  It comes drilled and tapped for scope or red dot mount.  It has a camo finish.  With the right choke and load, it takes a back seat to no gun.

These are out of my daughter's Super Bantam. Great shooting gun.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2