OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

20 ga 870 26" tube and Jelly Head .570, Load Recommendation?

Started by PEHunter, April 22, 2013, 11:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEHunter

Well I've had the itch for 20ga for a while, and after reading alot posts about how everyone likes them, I had to have one.  I am having a flare up from some bad disk in my neck also, so I thought it would be a good time cut down on the abuse delivered from my 835.  I picked up a box of Win XX #5 to try, but I am wondering if I should just pick up a couple boxes of hevishot and be done with it.  Anyone have any experience that they can share?

Bigstruttin

I personally don't hunt with a 20 but everyone around here seem to love the federal heavyweight 7's for a 20

Tom Foolery

Get some hevi shot or some Federal HW #7's and be done with it.  The hevi13 stuff is much easier to get around here but the Fed HW #7's are bad news bears, I have 6 boxes and would love to have 60 boxes of them.

remmy1187

I would give the federal hwt 7's or the Hevi-shot 7's a try.  I have had really good success with the IC .555 choke with my 870 and 11-87, i have not tried the JH choke in the 20 gauge but I would think it should be ok.  Lead 5's in the twenty gauge will probably not give you a lot of pellets in your 10" and will limit your effective range to probably 30 yards which is why I recommend the 7's in heavier than lead pellets. Good luck with your setup and keep us posted.