turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Good morning!

Started by derek, April 22, 2013, 02:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derek

Finally!  Was starting to get a little worried there.  Beautiful morning today, but man was it cold.  I was completely underdressed for low 30s.  I was headed to a spot I found saw 2 longbeards in a few weeks ago, slipped in while it was dark dark, got in and got comfortable.  Come gobble time, the woods woke up slowly.  A hen started yelping pretty close to me but behind me.  2 birds gobble together out in front, I liked that.  Then a bird gobbles right on top of me and behind me... a little too close for comfort as now I can't do anything for him but continue keeping my back to him and keeping still.  There was also another bird that sounded like a jake to my left and a bunch of hens getting fired up.  The gobbling was slow and before too long birds started coming out of the tree.  I heard 4 birds fly out behind me when finally the gobbler pitches down with much more racket and a big thud when he hit the ground.  He couldn't have been 30 yards directly behind me and I couldn't do anything about it with 5 sets of eyes back there.  I stayed still, the birds in front sounded like they were moving away a little.  I peak off my left shoulder and see a bird strutting right there with hens all around him.  When they all went behind a group of trees lined up together I made a move, shouldering my gun behind the tree.. not the most comfortable position.  They started purring and carrying on.  All kinds of whines and purrs with a ruckus of crunched leaves.. they were moving away from me and I watched as they went out of sight without getting a clear shot on the longbeard.  Next thing I know a hen starts putting at me 5 yards to the other side of me.  I knew I couldn't hold my gun in that position for much longer and eased it down when I couldn't take it anymore.. of course she spooked, but flew out with a cackle which amazingly sounded similar to all the other hens that had come out of the trees.. couldn't have gotten any luckier with that.  I switched mouth calls as I wasn't getting much response from the first one and immediately was getting better responses, although still barely gobbling.  The hens with the birds in front of me started yelping fairly constant and I tried to get them worked up.  Before long I see a hen in front, followed by another, and another.  I was looking towards the sun so I'm squinting to look for beards just in case when a fourth bird steps out with a bright blue head and a long beard.  Game on.. He works towards me and when he hits the 35 yard mark I said enough is enough and sent him flopping.  Time of death 0642.  I get out my phone to send the "Lbd" text only to be greeted by a text from MDBowman minutes before  :happy0064:  Tagged the bird, took some pictures and headed back to the truck.  As I was loading up realized I had walked out of the woods without my gun.. had to go back to the tree I took pictures at and get it... luckily I wasn't too far from the truck. lol. 

18lbs 14oz.  9 1/4" and 4 1/8" beards.  7/8" spurs.  Not a monster but he will do just fine.  Whitelightning should have an upgrade coming as well.  'Twas a good morning. 

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

longbeard11

Awesome!!! Great bird, congrats

DMP

Heck yeah.... Good work Derek.... :drool:

MDbowman

Great bird, bud! 

Unfortunately my text to Derek was SBD. Had 2 gobbling good and coming in through some thick stuff. They hung up behind a deadfall but I got a glimpse of one sporting a nice beard. I catch movement coming around the deadfall, get on him quick, bang. Jake. Got in a hurry. Still have one tag for an upgrade.

BowBendr

That's a good bird Derek. Knew it wouldn't take you long to get rolling.  :icon_thumright:

canadatom

Very nice, good bird congrats!