turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tight chokes at close range

Started by donjuan, April 20, 2013, 12:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donjuan

Just another dumb rookie question, but I was wondering what kind of patterns you all are getting at 20 yards with very tight chokes like the .555 Indian Creek or Pure Gold and the .562 Sumtoy.  I know with Federal Heavyweight or Hevi Shot, the patterns are incredible, but are they rifle like at close range?  I've tried them both in #7 out of a Benelli Nova 20 with a Carlson .575 and don't have the 175 in the 10 at 40, but there's plenty of wiggle room up close and 110 at 40.  I'm blown away by some of the pics, but with 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 ounces of shot, I'm guessing it has too be almost too tight.  Just wondering
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

remmy1187

At 20 yards these tight patterns are softball sized.  You definately need to have your sights dead on, with good fiber optic sights or a scope or red dot, my hope is to get a shot beyond 30 yards

redarrow

Softball size is a very good description. My Nova with Nitro 7s at 20 yards is one big hole with a few flyers.At 40 the best I have got is 270 in the 10 inch with 3 shot average of 243.

BrowningGuy88

I nearly decapitated the first one I shot this season at around 18 steps. I shot him with a 21" 870, 562 SumToy, and Hevi 6's.

At 20 yards on paper, the whole pattern is around 6 inches or less. Only tiny slivers of paper holding the target together.

woody

I always aim lower at really close range. Gives you alittle more error room. Also a load of shot to the back at close range is very effective.

BenW

Do you think there would be much difference at 20 yards between a Carlson .575 or an Indian Creek .555?

At 40 yards, the Carlson did 140 pellets and the Indian Creek did 170.

BrowningGuy88

When you start breaking 110 with the 20 at 40, you are going to have tight patterns up close. It is just the nature of the beast.