turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

1st 20 Gauge Kill today

Started by Tom Foolery, April 20, 2013, 12:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Foolery

Made it out to the lease as light was breaking and hiked up the hill and listened to the owls. It was bad foggy and the birds did not start until a little later than normal.  I had to go to the top and then roll over the side of course going all the way to the bottom and the birds were across the creek on the 1st bench roosted.  I made a mistake thinking I could not move and closer so I set down and called.  They hammered back and after a bit they were on the ground but not moving.  So across the creek and up the hill I go to the 1st bench.  I sound like ol'engine #9 rumbling up there and I am sweating like a democrat at a gun show so I sit down and give it about 5 mins.  I let out a cluck and he hammers back.............right where I just came from and going up the hill that I had to go down to get to the creek.  I hop up and go backwards and down the hill, across the creek and then up by far the steepest part of the mountain to get to the 2nd bench that they are on.  I finally get up there and sit down, I cluck, he gobbles I set my slate down and watch it roll down to the creek, damn.  I look up and the bird is working around the bench right to me, this is going to be quick.......

He walks out onto a point and struts and gobbles for the next 30 mins 50yds away, so much for quick.  He walks down under me a little, gobbles and struts and then starts walking off.  He gets back to 50-60yds and blows up going away.  I flipped my mouth call over and gobbled at him, talk about flipping a switch!  He triple gobbled and here he came, I catch movement out of the corner of my eye and a 2nd bird that I had no clue was there was fixing to run me over coming to whip me.  I let him have a load of H13 #6's about 25yds and you guessed it, he rolled plumb to the bottom.

20lbs - 9.5" beard - 1 1/16" spurs

I looked at my watch, I sat there for 1hr and 15mins and I made 2 clucks and 2 gobbles.

beagler

Never Misses

Jourdan_D

Congrats on the bird.  Was this the gun you put the sights I sent you on?

remmy1187

Sounds like you got a workout and a good bird, and did you find your slate?   Congrats

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Tom Foolery on April 20, 2013, 12:01:09 PM
  I am sweating like a democrat at a gun show 

:TooFunny:
Sounded like a great hunt. Congrats on a great bird.  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Tom Foolery

Quote from: Jourdan_D on April 21, 2013, 01:37:33 PM
Congrats on the bird.  Was this the gun you put the sights I sent you on?

Yep, that's the one.  I could have killed one with the factory bead but it would have required quite a bit of Kentucky Windage.  The sights went to POA/POI in a couple of shots and made shooting this bird much easier.   Thanks again for those!

Yeah I found my slate, it was propped up on an old fallen tree looking at me when I went down the hill.

FullChoke

Congratulations on a terrific hunt! The 20's keep on roaring!

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

GSLAM95

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase