turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Devotion Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Started by Duke0002, March 07, 2011, 11:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke0002

"Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28).

Go to work, pay the bills, shovel the drive and sidewalk, fix the meals, tend the children, clean the house...  the list goes on and on.  Our hectic lives burden us.  But this is not the labor that Jesus speaks of.  He speaks of an even greater burden:  the burden of pleasing God.

Those who work to placate God with good deeds experience fear and despair.  If not fear and despair, then smug self-righteousness.  They do things in order to gain God's favor, earn God's love, and obtain salvation.  But the Bible says no one is justified by the Law.  Our efforts at this are doomed to failure.

Jesus says, "I will give you rest." How can He lift this burden from us?  He has redeemed us on His cross.  Jesus willingly came from heaven, became man, and lived under God's Law for us.  In perfect love He obeyed the Law flawlessly in thought, desire, word, and deed.  He lifts our burdens and gives us His record of perfection.  Labor exchanged for rest.  What a trade!

The Bible says, "The soul who sins shall die" (Ezekiel 18:4).  I have sinned.  I must die.  God's justice demands it.  But Jesus exchanges our sin and guilt for His perfection.  Jesus suffered our death in our place.  God's justice is done.  He died, yet we live.  Death is exchanged for life.  What a trade!!!

-Dale

mmims

Awesome word from the Holy Spirit! Thanks Dale

Mike

Muskie03

That's a fine one Dale, thanks for posting.

Nik
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

BOFF

Roostem33

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

turkey slayer