OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Which semi auto 20 compact/youth? Decided - and now with issues.

Started by TNhunterKMC, April 17, 2013, 08:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNhunterKMC

Looking for a compact/youth model for my daughter.  Right now I'm looking at the Franchi Affinity Compact 20 (24" barrel) with Realtree APG camo and the Remington 11-87 youth camo turkey 20 (21" barrel).

What say you?

BTW - I'll be carrying this gun part time when she isn't hunting with me.

One other thing I forgot - on the 11-87 I would probably mount a B-square saddle mount to allow me to use a Burris Fastfire III.   What are the options for the Affinity?   Can it be drilled and tapped for a scope mount?

Best prices I've found on both are:

Affinity compact camo - $850 out the door
11-87 youth compact black - (camo is oos @ distributors) - $708

If I bought the 11-87 I'd be buying a black Sure Shot stock for it.

CB on the run

Remington will be heavier which means a lot in accuracy for children.  I'd go with a lighter gun, have the forcing cone removed, have it ported, and put the softest recoil pad I could find on it.  Then I would have her shoot only 2 3/4 dove loads and slip that turkey shell in w/o her knowing.  Good luck, I'll be there shortly with two grandsons ages 2 & 2 1/2.  Both already pointing and saying 'BANG' at deer & turkey on TV.

mossyoakpro

Take a look at the Weatherby as well....they are supposed to be great guns at a great price.

Best of luck!

Sent from my mobile beard and spur enhancing device

Phillippians 4:13

CrustyRusty

I'd get the Franchi.   I havent shot either but I have held them and the Franchi is a sweet little gun.  I'm not a real fan of Remmy's semiautos, but I do love my old police 870 more than any gun I own.

Devastator

Quote from: mossyoakpro on April 17, 2013, 08:45:32 AM
Take a look at the Weatherby as well....they are supposed to be great guns at a great price.

Best of luck!

X2 Ive seen some nice patterns on these forums from these guns.

01Foreman400

The Franchi is a very nice gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

TNhunterKMC

Well didn't go with either one of the compact youth models - found a descent deal on a 11-87 Sportsman Realtree Hardwoods HD with a 26" barrel.    Now I need to get an optic on it (hopefully a Burris Fastfire III) and start looking for the right choke or it.  I have a Undertaker and Truglo Gobblestopper Extreme that I've used at one time or another on my son's 870. I will start there and with some hevishot #6 and #7 and heavyweight #7.  If those chokes don't work out I'll try the Indian Creek on my son's 870 to see how it performs.

TNhunterKMC

After reading through lots of posts here I just bought 3 boxes of Federal HW #7 and ordered a Truglo SSX.  If that doesn't work out I'll try the Gobble Stopper and Undertaker choke with the HW #7.  If that doesn't work I'll try Hevishot #6 and the Indian Creek choke I have in my son's 870 20 gauge.

goblr77

Quote from: mossyoakpro on April 17, 2013, 08:45:32 AM

Best of luck!

I love mine. It's a great feeling little gun. The only negative is that it will hang up shooting 7/8 oz Winchester dove loads, even with the light piston. Everything else I've shot cycles fine, from 1 oz Rio dove loads to the Federal turkey.

savduck

I've talked several guys into the weatherby sa08. So far everyone loves them. I love mine
Georgia Boy

remmy1187

Quote from: TNhunterKMC on April 17, 2013, 08:55:10 PM
Well didn't go with either one of the compact youth models - found a descent deal on a 11-87 Sportsman Realtree Hardwoods HD with a 26" barrel.    Now I need to get an optic on it (hopefully a Burris Fastfire III) and start looking for the right choke or it.  I have a Undertaker and Truglo Gobblestopper Extreme that I've used at one time or another on my son's 870. I will start there and with some hevishot #6 and #7 and heavyweight #7.  If those chokes don't work out I'll try the Indian Creek on my son's 870 to see how it performs.
I just got one of these too and it shot the hevi-13 7's very good with IC .555, I shot a 161 at 40.

01Foreman400

Quote from: TNhunterKMC on April 19, 2013, 03:17:58 PM
After reading through lots of posts here I just bought 3 boxes of Federal HW #7 and ordered a Truglo SSX.  If that doesn't work out I'll try the Gobble Stopper and Undertaker choke with the HW #7.  If that doesn't work I'll try Hevishot #6 and the Indian Creek choke I have in my son's 870 20 gauge.

Why don't you just contact Sumtoy and do it right to begin with.  He makes a choke for that load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

TNhunterKMC

Well I finally got the gun out today.   I ran about 70-80 shots through it before shooting some turkey loads.   I finished off my last shot from 30 yards with the Truglo Gobble Stopper choke and Federal 3" Heavyweight #7.   230 pellets in 10" circle from this distance - WITH A DIRTY GUN - 0 cleaning while shooting.  Not sure how much it will change out to 40 and with a clean barrel, but I'm suspecting this gun to be an absolute 40 yard turkey killing machine.   If the Strut Stopper Xtreme beats this choke tube I'm going to be very excited.

Now for the BAD NEWS:

Two times while shooting, the trigger mechanism malfunctioned.  The spent round would be ejected from the gun, a new round was chambered, the bolt was returned to a closed and locked position, but the trigger/hammer didn't reset.  This new round would not fire.  I first thought somehow the safety had been accidentally moved to the safe position; however upon inspection saw the safety was still in the fire position.   Both times I eventually got the trigger to reset by ejecting all the rounds from the gun and then pulling the charging handle back several more times fully until the hammer/trigger would reset.  I'm hoping I can have this trigger assembly completely replaced.  No way will I be confident in taking this gun to the turkey woods thinking that at that perfect moment when that longbeard comes strutting in I might pull the trigger and nothing happen.

Secondly after returning home I thoroughly cleaned the gun.  100% reassembled it properly.   I pulled the charging handle back a couple of times to check that the gun was cycling/functioning correctly.  That is when the second and more serious issue happened.  Part of the action bar assembly has sheared off.   The charging handle just came loose from the bolt.

I sure hope I can get these two parts shipped to me promptly so I can get my daughter out before the season closes.  BTW - she loves shooting this gun.

I am definitely second guessing my purchase for certain though.  If it wasn't for the fact that this gun performed so well on paper today with those #7 Heavyweight I'd be MUCH more disgusted.

TNhunterKMC

Gun is heading back to Remington HQ for repair, replacement, or refund.   If I get a refund - I'm getting a Franchi Affinity immediately.   The way this gun patterned - if I do get a replacement - hope it shoots as good.

ncturkey

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I am sure Remington will get your gun fixed. Hope you get it back before the season is up.