turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg 510 Bantam, stock full choke, and Fed Heviweight 7's

Started by chatterbox, April 16, 2013, 04:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Well guys, I know this is only a 30 yard pic. I setup my son's 20 ga with a stock full choke and 3'' Fed. Heviweght 7's. I got the idea from Chilly, and I'm glad I tried it out. I figured the #7's would give me a good 30 yard pattern, with a solid buffer to 35.
At 30 yards, the pattern is nice and even. It shoots about 1.5" high, but I left well enough alone. If he aims for the neck, we should have a dead bird! I went with a full choke to leave it more open for him.
Here it is. 182 in the 10" circle at 30 yards. I was so pleased, I might just use this myself!

beagler

Never Misses

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

chatterbox

This combo worked VERY well! My son killed a nice bird on NH's youth opener. I think I just might bring this gun out myself for our opener this Friday!

gobblergls

Good going!  Are you using the factory sights?  How about the particulars on your son's hunt? Gil

Michigander

That's a great hunting pattern for him. I may get full choke for mine to use when I take kids out, the Sumtoy has hardly any wiggle room inside 40.

chatterbox

Quote from: gobblergls on May 01, 2013, 05:53:47 AM
Good going!  Are you using the factory sights?  How about the particulars on your son's hunt? Gil
He has a FF II on top of his gun. Perfect sight in my opinion. Alot easier to put one dot on the target.
As for the hunt, it lasted about 10 min from setup to shot! We snuck into the field, I put out a decoy and got back to my seat. I had just sat down, when we heard a shot. Not 5 min later, a nice gobbler came walking down the treeline! He got to within 20 yards, and Harrison smoked him!
If we had put an ultra tight choke in that gun, I'm not sure he would have gotten him.

FullChoke

The Federal HeavyWeight #7s in the 20 gauge are good to go out to 40 yards. The pattern should hold up just fine that far. Take a shot at that taped distance and check it out.

:icon_thumright:

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Chilly

Pattern looks good.  That 510 mini kicks way too hard for my son to be shooting a 3" load out of.  I did slip in a 3" fed HW while he was using his mom's gun during a hunt last weekend.  He smoked another Jake at 25 yards.  He never even felt the gun go off.  He was shooting a rem 1100 lt 20 magnum youth model.  Its a little too long for him but he manages it.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!