OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Finally heard one gobble  (Read 2952 times)

Offline bebo33

Finally heard one gobble
« on: April 16, 2013, 02:54:31 AM »
I've been hunting Blount Co. and Cullman Co. hard for the last three weeks with nothing seen nothing heard.  Not sure why I know there are some birds on those properties, but gobbling this season has been anything but normal.  Decided to go over to Lamar Co. with my uncle and see if we could get on some birds.  Had one gobble right at 6 a.m. Thursday, to an owl call. Only gobbled once, but that was enough for me to want to get the decoys out and get set up.  I wasn't familiar with the lay of the land, but my uncle was and decided to go down off the ridge on a really long greenfield (powerline trail) at the botton was a swamp.  We got set up and I stared soft yelping and purring trying to see if he would answer, but nothing.  Cranked it up a little louder with some yelps and clucks and had a hen answer me from behind the swamp.  I figured the gobbler we heard was with her and wanted to move around and maybe cut them off.  She only answered me a couple of times, and my uncle didn't want to take the chance of getting busted so we sat still.  Over an hour later and calling about every 15 minutues or so we decided they had moved on.  Nothing seen, but at least I finally heard one.  This year has been the worst I've yet to have seen a gobbler let alone taken one.