turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Shot the 870 Super Mag today

Started by gdublongwilly, April 14, 2013, 07:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gdublongwilly

Finally got to shoot my 870 SM with my brand new Burris FF III today.  First of all, absolutely love the sight.  I shot this pattern with a 3.5" Nitro H517T 4x5x7 HS out of a .665 Jellyhead with a 23" barrel.  It was about 48 deg and was lasered at 40 yds.  Not to bad but if any of you other guys have shot these particular shells out of your 870 SM, would love to hear some feedback on what choke etc....  I would like to improve this pattern some, was thinking of trying an Indian Creek or PG in .670, any thoughts?

captin_hook

BrowningGuy88

For 230 in the 10", I wouldn't endure the recoil of the 517T load. The H510 will probably put up more with less recoil.

The pattern is even and will definitely kill a turkey!

gdublongwilly

Quote from: Daman on April 15, 2013, 10:32:56 AM
For 230 in the 10", I wouldn't endure the recoil of the 517T load. The H510 will probably put up more with less recoil.

The pattern is even and will definitely kill a turkey!

Thanks for the input, I went off of Nitro's reccomendations for my set up.  Have you had better luck with the H510 load?  As far as recoil goes, I don't feel much of that with the Knoxx Stock  :icon_thumright:

tomstopper

That will definitely put a hurtin on one.....

hoyt38

My dad has the same gun and shoots the same shells. Invest in a rhino! .660 or .670 hands down best combo out there. Its nasty.
"He Shouldn't Oughta Done'nat! He Dead" -TKM

SumToy

try a bigger choke if you looking for better 10 inch.  Now I like that 10 inch.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

gophert

davisd9

Would not change a thing.  Will kill birds all day long.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer