OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Double Kill!  (Read 5058 times)

Offline mattbrooks

Double Kill!
« on: April 13, 2013, 08:03:11 PM »
We had a successful youth hunt today. My 7 yr old killed 2 birds with 1 shot. We didn’t plan on killing both….I thought they were far enough apart. The day actually started out with getting set up on a bird on the roost and it ended up circling us and came up on our opposite side. He never could get a shot off so it left. I tried getting in front of it again but couldn’t strike him anymore. We ended up going back to the original location and checking out a deer stand. My boy got stung by a wasp so back to camp we went. I thought the hunt was over but he wasn’t ready to quit. We decided to go to a different area on the lease and walked about a mile trying to strike a bird but never could locate one. We ended up at another deer stand and I was climbing up first to check for wasp when I heard one sound off and he was close! We ended up getting set up and I started calling. We saw him coming through the timber with his head bright red! As he got closer we saw another coming behind him. When the front one got about 25 yards I asked my son if he had a shot and he said he couldn’t see it good. When he could the other one was about 10 yards farther off and about 5 yards to the side when he shot. The front bird went down without a flop. I then noticed the back bird flopping and had to chase it down. Needless to say I had to call the game warden and report the double kill in one day. We ended up taking the warden to the location and showing him where everything took place and ended up with a warning. 

Offline mattbrooks

Re: Double Kill!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 08:03:58 PM »
First bird weighed 20 lbs, 9.5" beard 1" spurs. Second weighed 17.5 lbs, 9.5" beard 1 1/8" spurs.

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 04:36:35 PM »
Awesome. Congrats to that young man......

Offline trkycaller

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 08:54:45 AM »
congrats!

Offline jblackburn

• Paintbrush Beard
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »
congrats!  Glad the warden understood
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.