OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Can I get a little help please... if ya dont mind  (Read 5177 times)

Offline cjordan

Can I get a little help please... if ya dont mind
« on: April 13, 2013, 02:25:26 PM »
Alright guys, and gals this is basically my first year to turkey hunt, and tomorrow is the last day. I hit the woods this morning and finally got one to holler back at me. I found what I thought was a good place to sit down, and start trying to work the bird. I sit there and called, but as he was responding I could tell he wasnt coming any closer, so I started moving closer to him a little bit at a time. Soon enough I was at the property line and couldnt go any futher, but I could see him out about 150 yards in a field with a hen. I hit the call once, a little short yelp,yelp,yelp, and he blew up again, but he wasnt leaving his girl. I think he may have seen me, but Im not for sure. Him and the hen went behind some tall grass not in a hurry or anythig but I didnt see them anymore after that. Now with me being new to this and not having anyone with me to say try this or try that, I was wondering. Could yall give me some suggstions on what you would have done to try and pull him in to you? I can cluck, purr, and yelp on the pot calls, and I can cluck, and yelp with a mouth call, but thats about it for now. If you can give a suggestion on a certain call I should have made, if I cant do it Im not above looking it up on the net and learning how to. Like I said Im kinda new to this so I learning as I go, and kinda teaching my self as I go at the same time. Thanks for your time and help.

Offline denneyturkeycalls

• Denney Turkey Calls
Re: Can I get a little help please... if ya dont mind
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 10:18:55 AM »
A couple of ideas:
The gobbler being "henned up" you will have to get him on the roost before the real hens do.
If you can hunt in the evening you may catch him alone in the afternoon and seduce him then.
Good Luck

Offline TRKYHTR

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Mother Lode Turkey Calls
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 07:44:16 PM »
The reality is that probably nobody could have called that gobbler away from his hens. There is no perfect caller or call. My advice is to get proficient with every call that you can. That way you have more options to choose from. Sometimes some turkeys will like a box call instead of a mouth call or vise versa depending on how they feel that day. Most of all use what your confident with. If you can put and yelp then put and yelp. Practice what you haven't mastered yet until you get confident with it then use it in the woods on the real judges. Good luck,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Offline cjordan

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 02:55:45 PM »
Thanks guys. Well I got one to mess up Sunday morning and come in closer than he should have. It was a Jake, only a 4" beard, and 1/2" spurs... but that was my first turkey to ever kill, from start to finish I found where they were roosted, slipped in, called em to me, and sealed the deal all by my self so Im pretty happy. Next year Ill be a little more patient and wait for a long beard. It didnt help that Sunday was the last day of the season.

Offline TRKYHTR

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Mother Lode Turkey Calls
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 06:03:57 PM »
Congrats on calling in your first turkey.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Offline Zachariah1548

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
 Congrats on calling in your first turkey. That's a great feeling!