turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hardwoods set up

Started by nickhrp, April 08, 2013, 07:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickhrp

Just curious I mostly hunt small fields at the base of hardwood ridges but got some stubborn birds that won't come in the fields they stay about 25 yards from the field which is 57 yards from my blind and set up don't want to risk a Hail Mary shot just not good business so I'm gonna go up the ridge to try them how would you set up in hardwoods with decoys or would you even use them there is a small logging road at top should I set up on it for a better shooting lane any experienced help would be appreciated
God Bless the Outdoors

mtsrunner

I have had good luck in the woods. Hardly ever use the decoy, but usually carry a small blind (not the kind with a roof, just the portable type that folds).
If you walk that little road at the top, I bet you will find his strut zone. Just look for an area that kind of looks like a deer scrape, but bigger. Set up 30 yards from that and call softly.
I have killed my two biggest birds ever like this. One was 25 lbs 1oz with a 13.5" beard and the other was over 24 lbs with a 12" beard and 1.5" spurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redleg06

I'd probably just figure out where the birds are and where they are going to and THEN set up accordingly.   In other words, dont try to predetermine where you're going to set up, just let the birds tell you where they are and then you react and go to them.

nickhrp

My birds ain't talking much most of this week has all been guess work I just know they do travel the ridge line midway up just kind of thick not much shooting lane
God Bless the Outdoors

redleg06

Quote from: nickhrp on April 08, 2013, 09:31:13 PM
My birds ain't talking much most of this week has all been guess work I just know they do travel the ridge line midway up just kind of thick not much shooting lane

They dont have to gobble to let you know where they are. If they do it makes it a lot easier but you can go to the area's you know they are traveling and just move REAL slowly through them until you hear them drumming or walking in the leaves etc..   You're listening and looking as much or more than you're moving. When you hear something that sounds like a turkey, hold up and get confirmation either visually or until they make some kind of turkey sound, then either set up or use the info. to get somewhere to set up.   

If it's thick in there, it actually makes it a little easier to move around because they cant see you as far away.  Just move slow till you find them then plan accordingly, IMO.

nickhrp

Ok makes all the sense I'm probably guilty of over thinking the situation gonna give it a try thanks for all the help
God Bless the Outdoors

Onpoint

Quote from: redleg06 on April 08, 2013, 09:45:06 PM
Quote from: nickhrp on April 08, 2013, 09:31:13 PM

They dont have to gobble to let you know where they are. If they do it makes it a lot easier but you can go to the area's you know they are traveling and just move REAL slowly through them until you hear them drumming or walking in the leaves etc..   You're listening and looking as much or more than you're moving. When you hear something that sounds like a turkey, hold up and get confirmation either visually or until they make some kind of turkey sound, then either set up or use the info. to get somewhere to set up.   

If it's thick in there, it actually makes it a little easier to move around because they cant see you as far away.  Just move slow till you find them then plan accordingly, IMO.
Red hit the nail on the head. This is how I've killed a lot of turkeys. Ecspecialy tight lipped, henned up gobblers.

SouthEastNC

hey man dont worry you'll get it figured out go in there and get you some turkeys maybe try that logging road and see if it works I wouldn't worry about decoys unless you just want to give them something to focus on when they get close rather than scanning for a 200 pound hen that is really good of you to try to take them the right way and not risk a long shot good luck
Go Heels, Go America

whaler

Talk about a run on sentence...

Sorry you got busted but at least you learned something. If I am going to throw some yelps out, I make sure I get my butt against a tree with the gun handy. Especially in an area like that clearing you described.

nickhrp

Apologies for the length of post i try to keep them shorter it was a little long
God Bless the Outdoors