OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Washington State Youth Weekend  (Read 3168 times)

Offline dblcluck

Washington State Youth Weekend
« on: April 11, 2013, 04:05:50 AM »
It's been I long time since I've been able to check in on OG. After moving to Washington State, pastoring a new church... while the family stayed in Missouri for a year while I got things settled, then moving them all out here, I just haven't had the time to think much about it. Anyway, this is the first Spring our whole family has been here, so I got to take my 15 year old son out for his first WA bird. I also took two boys from our church who have never turkey hunted before... a big "Youth Weekend Extravaganza". I have to say, I had NO IDEA the quality of turkey hunting this state had to offer, and not many guys here hunt them. Washington offers 3 sub-species (Eastern, Merriam's, Rios). These birds were Rio/Merriam's hybrid.

Anyway, it was a nasty, nasty weekend weather wise, 35-48 degrees, 40 mph winds and rain/snow/sun/rain/rain/rain... but we were able to get 2 of the 3 boys their birds. Fortunately my son could kind of take care of himself. He has been hurt (track injury) and couldn't really hike like he wanted, so he hunted an area he thought would have birds moving through. He shot a jake. He told me he figured that with the weather conditions and his legs messed up a bird in the hand was better than two in the bush... plus, he pulls this out of his hat, "Dad, it was an adult when it came in, but 3.5" Heavy Shot 5's at 10 yards hit him so hard it blew him back into LAST year... hahaha.

The other boy got his bird the second day. Pouring rain and 35 degrees... but this 2 year old and his buddy gobbled like crazy off the roost. He got so darn wet he looked terrible for the picture. The younger brother didn't get the bird we were working for him. A coyote came busting through and messed it up, but a coyote at 5 yards is pretty fun with a 20 gauge  :drool: Once regular season starts I'll take him back to get a bird.

Here is some pics of the fun...

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 11:44:04 AM by dblcluck »
Courage is the greatest of all virtues. Because if you haven’t courage, you may not have opportunity to use any of the others.”

Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)