turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Benelli SBE POI

Started by South_Ark_Hunter, April 08, 2013, 09:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

South_Ark_Hunter

Just got through shooting my SBE with my new Wrights #3 and 3 1/2 Hevi-Shot magnum blends. I followed Clark's directions on cleaning my barrel and although the pattern was very good at 40 my POI was low and to the right by about ten inches or so.  I was trying new combo to possibly get more range in case i needed it but at this point I my have to go back to my old set up.My question is what can be done to correct POI? 

booth

You could try different shims, or adjustable sights.  I have Williams fire sights on my supernova and have been happy with them.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: South_Ark_Hunter on April 08, 2013, 09:33:26 PM
Just got through shooting my SBE with my new Wrights #3 and 3 1/2 Hevi-Shot magnum blends. I followed Clark's directions on cleaning my barrel and although the pattern was very good at 40 my POI was low and to the right by about ten inches or so.  I was trying new combo to possibly get more range in case i needed it but at this point I my have to go back to my old set up.My question is what can be done to correct POI?

The very first thing I would try is to remove the coke and re-install it, then back it out a couple of turns and tighten. On some guns, it helps to install, back out just a bit and then tighten.

Please let me know how that works for you.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

ncquackersmacker

Mine is the same way.  In my opinion the Shims do nothing.  I have been down that road, the shims only effect how the gun points when its thrown up for wing shooting not how it shoots when on a rest.  Couple of things I did was to build up the check on my stock so that when I get my head down in the gun like I would shoot the middle bead is sitting under the end bead. I want the beads to "figure 8" that gives you a high hold.

gobblingghost

Mount some sights and adjust according.

South_Ark_Hunter

Thanks to all for the advice.  Looks like sights are going on the old Benelli!  I have to decide between the Williams and the tru-glo.

nbkillr

My SBE was the exact same way when I shot hevi-shot and hevi-blend through it, but if I shot Winchester Supremes #5s that pattern was where I was aiming at any distance I patterned it at from 0 to 40 yards.  I also tried a couple different brands of chokes before I settled on Indian Creek which had the best one for me.   

beards-n-bone

Go to the gunsmith and let him straighten the barrel.  IDK if the SBE has a floating rib or not.  If it does he can fix the POI for ya.  If the rib is welded the entire length of the barrel then you cant bend the barrel without risking the rib popping off.  My Stoeger hits low left and the gunsmith couldnt straighten my barrel because of this.  Hope this helps.

South_Ark_Hunter

I know this is off the subject but I had been shooting the Winchester HV with great results for a long time, my gun with GT 660 loved them, but after letting a couple birds get away from me in Georgia last year I got to thinking they changed the load up.  It still says HV on the box but the shell says supreme.  It also went from being $20 a box to about $12.  I did shoot some when patterning the magnum loads that shot low and they did hit POA.