turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

April 10 #3

Started by DMP, April 10, 2013, 01:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMP

The turkey's have been kicking my tail since last Thursday. I have been on birds a bunch since then none of them want to play. Hunted a group of birds Monday morning that have been given my brother fits and chased them around all morning. Had them at 60 yds twice but they would never close the distance. I ran and cut them off 3 different times but went to work empty handed. They always seemed to be in the same area from talking with my brother and his hunts. With that in mind I had to be at work early Tuesday so no hunting but planned on getting in there early in the dark Wednesday (today) and get set up in the home area and wait them out.

Well I sat there till 7:30 and heard nothing so I finally made a few calls and had them respond back in a food plot that I walked through earlier in the dark to get to where they had normally been in the mornings. They had the high ground and they had the sun at their back. Plot is probably 150 yds away. Started calling to them and they would respond so I figured I had a chance. After 30 mins or so I could tell they were working their way to the middle of the property which gave me a chance to start moving with the terrain. Moved and get set up and had them come to 75 yds or so but they eventually went back the other way. I figured there had to be a hen or hens with them. Keep up with them with the crow call and could tell they were making their way back towards the food plot so I high tailed it through some thick pines to beat them there and sure enough I made it just in time. Sat down and gave a few yelps to locate them and they cut me off probably 100 yds away.

Got settled in and they would gobble from time to time and were coming but slow. See a hen pop out 100 yds down the plot and knew I was probably done for now. Not long after 3 toms came out behind her and followed her across the plot and back into the woods to my right. I would call while they were in the plot but they never even looked my way.

Well they end up circling me and crossing over the property line into some fields never to be heard again. Twice now I have chased these three this week and they want budge from their hen. Wish I could stay with them every morning but I try to get to work by 10:00 if possible. Figured I would be there in the plot set up in the morning and see what happens.

Well, while riding one of the gravel roads out I see a tom run into some pines and he looks to be alone. Ride by and see him standing in the woods and don't see any other birds around so I go over the hill about 100 yds and pull over to check him out. Grab the gun and off to the races I go to get up to a rd bed in the property and get set up. Catch my breath and call and few times and finally he answers. Wait probably 10 mins without hearing him again so I call to see where he's at and he cuts me off about 50 yds but I can't see him due to the grass and lay of the land. I get ready and the next thing I know there is a tom coming down the rd from my right and fast. I swing his way and get him to stop and that's all she wrote for him.

Hoping the other bird would run in I gave a few excited yelps and cuts but the bird I shot never flopped to help me out and I never heard the other bird again.

Solid bird

18 lbs

10" beard

1" spurs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQF3kKXPbJY&feature=youtu.be

MDbowman

Funny how things can work out!! Congrats!

derek

Great hunt.  Congrats!
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

canadatom