OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: A new Start  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Spareparts

A new Start
« on: April 07, 2013, 08:44:40 PM »
First I want to say this is really my first year to Turkey hunt and hadn't hunted at all since Dec. 29 2010, you see that's when I had my accident, I fell from a treestand. I shattered my hip and fractured my skull. I was laid up for 5 months, was in severe pain for 18 months before I had my hip replacement, and all I had to do was keep that hunter safety harness attached to the tree all the way down, but anyway to my tale, 4 of us decided to put in for some draw hunts, my brother, his son and a friend, we also decided we would pair up and hunt together, the first morning we had walked in on a gated road and then off into the woods, we set up and began calling right away we got a response but he was hen'd up and wouldn't come on in, that evening we decided to try it again, we walked in on the same gated road, but decided to set up my decoy in the road I then began setting up my turkey chair when I began hearing a hissing sound when I looked up my buddy was laying along side the road about 6 or 8 yards from me, he whispered that the gobbler was in the road and then put his head to the dirt, the thing was I couldn't see down the road because of the brush, but I dropped to my knees got my call out and began calling, but couldn't stay in that position for very long because of above mentioned, but was able to get the chair positioned around where I could get in it to sit, all this time I still couldn't see the tom, I kept looking back at my buddy and was able to give me a signal that the bird was still there, it took about 30 minutes to get him in view and in range, where I was able to take him while my friend laid in the road.

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: A new Start
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 09:09:50 PM »
First, I am glad you made it through your ordeal & are able to share in our addiction. Next, congrats on your bird & good luck for the remainder of your season.