OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey hunt didn't turn out as planned..... (pic heavy)  (Read 6082 times)

Offline youngun15

Turkey hunt didn't turn out as planned..... (pic heavy)
« on: April 06, 2013, 12:38:57 AM »
Needless to say the hunt I planned for this morning sucked because it didn't happen. Phone didn't charge, blah blah blah, alarm didn't go off. Decided to go scout and try to roost one for tomorrow morning.

Left my house around 3:30 to get there early and take some pictures or something, just needed to get out of the house. Got to the club around 4:15 ish and was driving down the main road of the property. I got to a spot where, on my right, there are wide open feilds and woods to my left. Also coming from my left was an old road that was grown up that ran all the way from the other side of the woods out into the field. Driving in I saw two birds out in the middle of the field. I stopped my truck and took a look with my binoculars, my heart skipped a beat when I saw that they were both Toms. Right then I realized that all of my hunting stuff was in my truck, about the same time I decided to try to kill one. I drove around the "finger" of woods to where the connecting road started and got all my gear and gun ready.

Started jogging down this little grown up road, which was really no more than a deer path now, for the first 200 yards or so until i got to within 75 yards of where it opened up. From there i walked slowly to about 40 yards to the road i had driven down. I looked through my binoculars and when I didn't see anything I thought to myself that they had just mosied on down to the other tree line. About ten seconds later I see a red head pop up out of the ditch and onto the road. A split second later another. Bc they were facing me i slowly lowered myself to be more difficult to spot. I belly crawled/ knee slid about another 25 yards to a small berm that was concealing my movements. I put my foam jake on the crest of this hill then my hen a little lower. I looked under the jake to see that the two Toms were slowly making their way.... straight away from me. By now they're about 200 yards away. I tactical rolled to the right up under a low hanging oak limb to a little area that was clear. Inside this little cavern, as it felt like a cave made of trees, I had to stand to be able to see anything.

From my position now I am 3 yards from the road, the decoys are to my left and back about 10-15 yards or so. From here I will be able to see the turkeys (clearly) at 35 yards and again when they are within 5-10 yards of the decoys. I lean out of my cave to take a look down the road and let out a few cuts to get their attention. It did, yelped a few times to help them pinpoint "me" and as soon as they saw the decoys, here they come.

Let me start off reminding yall that this is my first reall turkey hunting year, so I had never seen this before except on tv. But these two Toms literally sprinted to me. By now Im about to have a heart attack my heart is pounding so hard.

So now as theyre running up the road I get into position, still standing mind you. I see them when they hit the "hole" at 35 and they are still running. They hit the edge of the old road and the one went into full strut with the other following. "Ok this is the dominant bird, he's toast" I thought. By now he is at the 10 yard mark from the decoys which is at my 9 0'clock. He comes out of strut to move closer and I bust his  at about 20 steps. They other one flies about ten yards and returns to ground noticing the other one flop. I guess seeking vengeance for getting his  waxed he comes back to flog the big boy. Huge mistake, the bead was on his head so I rocked him too. My first double!! And only my second and third turkey. I am beyond excited!! Took my pictures and headed home, decided to drive through the property and saw another Tom, bigger than the two I killed. I know where I'll be in a few hours. Thinking I may break out the 20 to try and fill my last two tags.

Big boy: 20 lbs
1 1/8" spurs
11 1/16" beard

Second: 18 lbs
1" spurs
11" beard

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Turkey hunt didn't turn out as planned..... (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 09:23:45 PM »
 :drool: Awesome. Congrats on the good looking birds & the pics. The only problem is that now your going to have to set your bar pretty high to do better than this in future seasons. Not a bad problem to have........  :toothy9:

Offline runngun

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 10:46:03 PM »
You did great!!!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Offline WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
Turkey hunt didn't turn out as planned..... (pic heavy)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 11:06:12 PM »
Nice story,I really like them blood dripping pics!!!

Offline 870FaceLift

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 12:32:44 PM »
Great story.  Congrats!  Love the pics :icon_thumright:
Pass it on...

Offline DirtNap647

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 08:55:06 AM »
congrats great pics

Offline Mike Honcho

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 09:16:50 AM »
Great hunt...congrats and thanks for sharing!

Offline mattbrooks

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 03:38:20 PM »
Way to go!  :you_rock: