OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

JH 660 VS JH 665

Started by jtharpe, March 07, 2011, 12:06:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtharpe

shot my 870 this weekend with a jellyhead 665 and got 216 in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards with hevi 3 inch number 7s.

do you guys think the 660 would do better or should I leave well enough alone?

Just getting this gun set up, I figured it would have alot more hits than my 20 shooting number 7s does 196, I know they are nitros but I figured the 12 with 2 ounces of shot would put up alot more.

mcgruff1533

Only one way to find out (wink, wink).     You just have to decide if the expense of another choke is worth the potential for extra pellets in a 10" circle.

Truthfully, you have a Turkey killing pattern right now... however, those #7 Hevi pellets often respond well to tighter chokes.   

SKFOOTER

My 870/Jellyhead .660 combo consistently puts 300 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with that same load.   I'd try the .660.

1iagobblergetter

I did the same thing your thinking of doing with my 870 and it was worth it for me. For the little bit of extra expense it'll be worth it just to know and not to wonder.Like SLICKY said you can always sell the one that you dont want!!!

trash2

Using .658 im getting over 300.

trash2

Tuttle

That's a good question, I just put my 665 in the classifieds here for the same reason.  I was hoping someone had the same issues with a 660 and wanted to just swap with me.  I have a tightwad choke in 660 and it shoots awesome (3" hevi shot #6's) but the jelly head 665 just doesn't perform as well for me at longer ranges.  From the research I've done lately, it seems that the 665 performs better with a 3 1/2" gun and the 660 performs better in a 3"(which is what I have).   I think the 660 does better with the smaller shot size (6 & 7's) as well while the 665 seems to be optimized with the larger pellets.  I know every gun is different, those are just my observations.  Good luck

trash2

That is out of a Benelli, correct?

If so, that would be the equaviliant of a .664 from an 870.

I don't know if I would trust shooting HTL out of a Comp-N-Choke, simply because of how the ports are laid out.

Yeah a little concerned that it may tear something up but its shooting pretty dam good with those 7s. would switch but not enough time to be foolin around now

gobblingghost

Just because a choke says its a .660 you need to use a mike and check for yourself. I have 8 chokes and only 1 is marked correctly :z-guntootsmiley:

jtharpe

I ordered a 660 so i will post the results after i shot it.

panhandlehunter

Cant wait to see your results.  I have a .665 and i'm trying to decide if I should get the .660 as well.

strutstopper

My dad and I both shoot the exact same model 870s and he shoots with a JH 665 and I shoot a JH 660. We shoot the 3 1/2 in hevi 13 7s (I know you are shooting the 3 inch version though), and my gun with the 660 consistently puts about 20 to 30 more pellets in a ten inch circle at 40.

honker22

What is your 20" number?  I'd say if you have a good hunting pattern then stick with it.  Those 10" numbers are similar to what I was getting with my setup last year, but I stuck with it because it was an awesome hunting pattern. 

BTW, I killed 2 gobblers close to 50 yards with that combo.  Good luck
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

jtharpe

The pattern was a good pattern, I did not count the 20 inch circle but it looked find and would be plenty good enough to hunt with. But as I said I'm just setting this gun up and wanted to make sure I'm getting everthing out of it I can.

Plus it is fun to shoot paper while I cant shot turkeys :z-guntootsmiley: