Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

#2 went down this morning...

Started by DMP, April 02, 2013, 10:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMP

My brother and I went again this morning and at sun rise we heard nothing.  Really shocked with the blue bird morning that we didn't hear anything.  We knew that there were birds on the property, we just had to find them.  We started walking the rd and would stop and call some every 100 yds hoping to strike a bird up.  Finally on our 4th stop we had a group of birds cut me off.  Game on.  We got set up on the road bed and I called again to see how interested they were and they followed with another round of gobbles.  We could tell there were at least two birds gobbling.  After hearing them a few times we weren't really sure if they were toms or jakes.  They sounded like jakes with weak gobbles.  Finally after 15 or 20 mins we could tell they were getting closer and at one point we could distinguish 3 different gobbles coming from the group.  Two sounded like jakes but you could tell that one was a good bird and it sounded like he was bringing up the rear.  Well they closed the distance and at one time we were  worried they were going to swing around some briers and not give us a shot but finally they came down the dirt rd and right into our lap.  Never saw the third bird but the two we thought were jakes were some good two year olds that can ride in the back of my truck any day of the week.  Gave the count down and I saw mine do a back flip but saw my brothers run.  He made a great recovery shot and nailed him.  He had a clear shot when we did our count down but his bird raised his head at the last second and my brother went with it half his shot clipped a tree.

Video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiUn28-JdBQ&feature=youtu.be

My bird: 19 lbs 9.5" beard 7/8 spurs
Brothers bird: 18 lbs  9.5" beard 7/8 spurs

bawana

BowBendr

Beautiful gobblers !

Congrats on the double.  :you_rock:

derek

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

Duke0002