OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Adhesives for pots

Started by Gobbling Buck, February 07, 2011, 09:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobbling Buck

Hello everyone.  I am new to the site and also new to turning pot calls.  I just got my order of glass, slate, and ceramic in from Grassy Creek.  I am wondering what type adhesive to use for both the glass sound boards and call surfaces.  I've seen where liquid nails is used, but this is a cedar pot with glass and I don't know if it will look right.  Thanks in advance.-GB

Roostem33

I use GOOP, you can get it at Home Depot. Hope this helps.
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

misfire

Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

FULLFAN#5

Mike

Full Fan Custom Calls

NWTF Cave Run Chapter

"You don't hunt turkeys beacuse you want to, you hunt turkeys because you have to." Colonel Tom Kelly

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: misfire on February 07, 2011, 10:02:29 PM
Plumbers Goop

What he said  ;D

I've been using it for years and wouldn't use anything else.  I get mine at Lowe's.  I have personal issues with Home Depot and their support of the "gay agenda".  Not poking at anyone or trying to stir any pots... just get that little neck-hair bristling thing when I hear the name... 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Bonjour

Goop here also. That stuff will hold forever and is clear. Get yourself some of the childrens medication syringes and put in enough to do what your doing at the moment. It will harden in there no matter what, but it lays a great bead and can be pulled out once hard to clean it.  :anim_25:

Trophy_Taker

Plumbers Goop for me. Been using since 2003 with NO problems.

Matt...

RaspyD

I have tried Goop but don't like it.  The reason I don't like it is because it hardens.
Perfection Turkey Calls

Gobbling Buck

Thanks for all the replies.  I think I'll try the plumber's goop.  This is my first try at making pot calls, been turning strikers for a while though.  Just a thought, and some of you may have some input, but wouldn't you want an adhiesive that hardens so it won't dampen the vibration of the friction call?  Thanks -GB

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: Gobbling Buck on February 11, 2011, 09:51:51 AM
Thanks for all the replies.  I think I'll try the plumber's goop.  This is my first try at making pot calls, been turning strikers for a while though.  Just a thought, and some of you may have some input, but wouldn't you want an adhiesive that hardens so it won't dampen the vibration of the friction call?  Thanks -GB

That's kinda my thoughts on it.  I used silicone back in the day... I didn't care for the sound I got.  I also tried contact cement at the suggestion of another callmaker years ago... I still have that bottle of contact cement in the shop... one call was enough to know that wasn't the ticket.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

RaspyD

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on February 11, 2011, 04:43:03 PM
Quote from: Gobbling Buck on February 11, 2011, 09:51:51 AM

That's kinda my thoughts on it.  I used silicone back in the day... I didn't care for the sound I got.  I also tried contact cement at the suggestion of another callmaker years ago... I still have that bottle of contact cement in the shop... one call was enough to know that wasn't the ticket.

For some reason the Goop made my pots sound like poop.  I really don't have a good reason as to why but it just killed the sound as compared to the silicone.  May have something to do with the type of pot I'm using??
Perfection Turkey Calls

Hoosier Daddy

I use the Goop Household in the red / Burgandy tube , it sets alittle faster stays flexable and holds nice .

eemer

I use Plumber's Goop

Never had a problem with it.
Vermont Tom-Taker Turkey Calls!

Hoosier Daddy

Whats the difference in the Plumbers Goop and just regular Goop ? which is better and why ?