OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Central PA Public Land  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Dr^ke

Central PA Public Land
« on: April 12, 2013, 01:55:00 AM »
Anyone know any state parks or public land that hold turkey? Specifically near Bellefonte area? I've done some scouting and have only located one flock. Unfortunately, I went to scout again today and their were 4 other guys scouting the same exact spot so it's looking like its going to be a bust. Not looking for any specific spots, but if you know a park that holds them or a general area could you shoot me a pm? Thanks, Tom

Offline CntrlPA

Re: Central PA Public Land
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 09:19:16 AM »
There was a gobbler going crazy this weekend on the ridge behind Sayers Dam. There will be people on every piece of public land for the most part on Saturdays. Try to get out during the week.

Offline Dr^ke

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 12:18:54 PM »
Thanks for the info. Yea I know what you mean about during the week. It's just frustrating because I've been scouting for the last two months and trying to get back far away from the crowds. Two weeks before the season and now all the crowds are coming out. Really wish I could just get permission to hunt a farm or something private. My idea of a successful hunt would be natural woods sound with no hunters instead of 20 guys all doing the same yelp sequence on the same box call they bought the day before.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 01:44:17 PM »
PA is filled with birds.. unfortunately there's 15 guys gunning for each one haha  :OGturkeyhead:

You have to scout the hunters and go where they're not willing to or over looking. I've done the same thing for deer where I've scouted a great area weeks or months in advance and by opening its a zoo and its a huge let down.

Keep it up and I hope you down a good bird. I won't be much help for your area, I live in SE PA but drive up to Susquehanna County to some private family land for opening day.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline gdublongwilly

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 10:23:49 PM »
Also, don't be afraid to ask people to hunt.  You never know when someone will say "yes".  I just gained two more large properties here in north central PA, several hundred acres a piece.  It will be well worth the rejections you normally get, even if you only get 1 good farm to hunt.  Good luck and don't give up.

Offline cahaba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 04:43:03 PM »
I don't know how close you are to the Allegheny National forest. With 517,000 acres you should be able to find a spot. It may be worth the drive. If you can find good areas with that much acreage it could pay off for years.  Good hunting....Dave

Offline WildSpur

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »
Don't be affraid to check out the dcnr webpage.  Specifically the "hunter maps.". These maps show past timber sales, what types of cuts they were, parking areas, etc.  These maps could spark curiousity into finding over looked spots.  Also consider many of these areas have closed roads in gobbler season which can make access difficult and ease pressure.  Hope this helps.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

Offline Dr^ke

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 04:30:52 PM »
Thanks guys, it really helps. My plan is definitely go where most people don't. I've been doing a lot of scouting and google earth to find the most secluded areas. The problem I'm having though is many of the places I have looked seem to have small dirt roads intersecting the land. I contacted a local forester and he said the place is a zoo during turkey season and they have lots of problems with guys road hunting the birds. Anyone have any info on hunting down by Raystown Lake? I've heard it holds a good number of birds but also a boat makes things a lot easier. Thanks guys!
P.S. If anyone wants to join me for a hunt feel free to PM me. Always fun to meet new guys and learn from them.

Offline WildSpur

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 05:12:47 PM »
Don't give up!  You might be supprised to find that many people give a call at the parking lot and if they don't hear anything they drive to the next lot often ignoring hundreds of acres.  Saturdays can be a crap shoot.  If you can, definitely concentrate your efforts during the week.

Also if you don't already--hunt timber.  I don't know why but many turkey hunters only hunt fields.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less