OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: info on richloam wma, fla.  (Read 7024 times)

Offline hootn

info on richloam wma, fla.
« on: April 01, 2013, 12:39:42 PM »
just wondering if any all of yall have hunted there this spring? we are headed there this friday to try it out. i know it is late, but maybe most of the out of state'rs might be gone. looking for my last bird for my slam.

scott

Offline hoyt

Re: info on richloam wma, fla.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 12:50:48 PM »
I haven't hunted Richloam in quiet a few yrs., but have killed my share of gobblers out of there and I can tell you it gets pounded from day one and if you kill one even after the quota you have done something.

There's a lot of turkeys in there, but it's a favorite WMA for a lot of the locals in the area. Since it's not gated many drive through it every morning just to try to get one cranked up from the roads and there's roads everywhere in there.

Greenswamp, East boarders it and is gated. Upperhillsbourgh is not far and only open a couple days a wk.

Offline hermiehunter

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 01:30:57 PM »
I spent three days last week on Green Swamp East trying for my first Osceola.  While I didn't hunt on Richloam any, I did ride a few of the roads to get an idea of just what the land was like...

From my experience, killing a gobbler on either of these properties is going to be tough, unless you have plenty of time (days) to walk & scout or just know from past experiences where to go...or just get plain lucky to find a bird that will gobble without others being there as well!  If you aren't familiar with the area & the terrain/habitat there, be prepared for really really thick stuff and swamps!  In three days, I heard only one gobbler, and he was killed immediately after flying down, less than 200 yards from me.  And while I never heard much gobbling, I could hear other hunters calling from every place I set up.  On Friday morning, I could hear at least 5 hunters from one spot!!

This was my first experience in Florida, and it was definitely a humbling one to say the least!  Not trying to discourage you...more like prepare you, lol!  To get a public land Osceola would be a great accomplishment.  I'll be back down there in the future for sure, but hopefully on a quota hunt or special opp. public land hunt...

Offline ncturkey

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Go hunting and Fishing
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 01:56:21 PM »
Scott, I hunted in the Green Swamp last year about the same time. Green swamp is south of Richloam. It was warm. Bring plenty of water. I did not have many folks bothering me. I hunt during the week. You need to study the topo maps of Richloam. Find a area far away from the road as you can find. Not sure about Richloam but Green Swamp did not open until 4:30. Be there early so you can get to your spot first. Wish I could be there to hunt. Good Luck, Mike

Offline fldoghunter

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 02:49:30 PM »
just wondering if any all of yall have hunted there this spring? we are headed there this friday to try it out. i know it is late, but maybe most of the out of state'rs might be gone. looking for my last bird for my slam.

scott

I'd save my gas money. Richloam is the only place I turkey hunt. The gobbling was good the first week or so, but with the woods so dry this year, I can't seem to get away from the people. I usually have no problem killing my 2 birds. I killed a pretty good gobbler the first weekend, The weather was bad the second weekend, and they have just about quit gobbling by the third. I live and work pretty close, have plenty of time to take off mornings, and have quit taking them off. It's that bad.

Offline darn2ten

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 10:56:19 PM »
  I used to live right on the boarder of Richloam on S.R. 471 just south of Tarrytown. I' ve killed birds in Richloam, but it definitley ain't always easy. The best tip I can give you is to not think like everybody else, try to find the spots others over look. Right out next to the highway for instance. I killed quite a few birds and the biggest buck I ever killed with a bow in Florida there. Him and most of those birds were within 500 yards of the highway. Also check out the area north of highway 50, used to have pretty decent luck up there also. Make sure you take a topo or ariel map, that will be a big help. If you could ever put in for Geen Swamp west and get drawn, it would be well worth it.