OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Another good weekend in South Alabama  (Read 6139 times)

Offline BrowningGuy88

• Longbeard
Another good weekend in South Alabama
« on: March 31, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »
Three of us went out Friday morning (me, my coyote hunting partner, and my granddad) with the two of them as shooters and me guiding so to speak. We heard one long beard gobble and set-up in an old field with them about 50 yards closer to the turkeys than me. After working the birds on the roost with my Mike Yingling Copper pot I finished them off with the Hook's Executioner II.

I made 5 series of calls to the roosted turkeys and the gobbler answered every time. At 6:55 I saw two hens and a gobbler fly down that we didn't know were there and he started strutting about 70 yards down from me (120 yards from them) and was still strutting when he hit the 45 yard mark to me. I picked up the 935 and put the bead on him in case he got wary and waited on him to pass me and head up their way. At 7:25 the gobbling bird gobbled on the ground only a few yards out of the field. I gave him a soft series on the Executioner II and he followed 2 more hens, 8 jakes, and another long beard into the field. At this point I relaxed my gun and watched the 3 gobblers strutting. When the gobbling tom and the tom with him got about 20 yards from my granddad and buddy I gave a hard series of cutts on the Hooks and all 3 toms hammered back at me. As soon as the toms relaxed I heard the double boom and 2 of the toms were on the ground! I watched the lone strutter run off. I could have killed him too, but I wanted to leave one to hunt again.

Sequence of Events:

4:45 - My buddy and I walked out my door
5:45 - We all walked out of my grandparent's house
5:55 - Got out of the truck
6:15 - First gobble
6:55 - First Strutter hit the field
7:33 - I cut, 3 gobblers gobbled, two shots fired
7:34 - The congratulations started and the hunt recapped
8:00 - Eating breakfast and having coffee telling the tale to the other hunters in the family

Buddy's bird:
9" Beard
3/4" Spurs
17 pounds
Shot with H&R 20 Gauge single barrel and HWT 6's

Granddad's bird The Boss gobbling bird:
8.5" Beard
1" Spurs
19 pounds
Shot with Winny 1300 NWTF and Win HV 6's

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
Re: Another good weekend in South Alabama
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 10:37:09 PM »
Congrats to you guys keep it up (I got the pics Nice birds ),, Glad the call helped out in the hunt  :icon_thumright:
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline BrowningGuy88

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 11:27:18 PM »
Congrats to you guys keep it up (I got the pics Nice birds ),, Glad the call helped out in the hunt  :icon_thumright:

Mike - the call is working awesome! The only downside to it has been it almost works too well!

That call has pulled in 22 gobblers this season and seen 5 take a dirt nap. If all goes well the rest of the season, it will have seen 3 limits of 5 and probably a few extras from visitors.

Offline spur collector

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 07:35:09 PM »
Congrats on a fine hunt.

Offline alclark2

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 11:20:35 PM »
Sounds like a great day! I was wondering if I could shoot Hevi out of my grandpas old H&R 20 gauge single shot. I thought it would be a nice experience to use his gun for a hunt. I guess this answers that question. I have one of Mike's copper calls also and they just sound great. Congrats on an awesome hunt!
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Offline BrowningGuy88

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 05:21:42 PM »
Sounds like a great day! I was wondering if I could shoot Hevi out of my grandpas old H&R 20 gauge single shot. I thought it would be a nice experience to use his gun for a hunt. I guess this answers that question. I have one of Mike's copper calls also and they just sound great. Congrats on an awesome hunt!

I have not seen any problems shooting the HWT's or the Hevi out of his single shot. We shot 2 of each patterning and then he killed the 2 gobblers, so it has only seen 6 of the shells down the pipe.

Offline strut2

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 08:10:18 PM »
Congrats!

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 09:27:30 PM »
Congrats to all three of you. Let us know if you get that other bird on the ground....

Offline BrowningGuy88

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 10:56:44 AM »
Congrats to all three of you. Let us know if you get that other bird on the ground....

I had him at 3 steps Saturday morning and was waiting on him to walk by and get around 20 before I shot. He went into strut at 4 steps and turned his back to me and walked straight away into the hens and kept going. He never offered me another shot.

I bet if I have him at 10 feet this weekend I will just take my chances at missing...