OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 40yd and under SP10 set up...?  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Full_Fan

40yd and under SP10 set up...?
« on: March 31, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »
I'm heading to MO and KS in about 6 weeks.  I'm planning on shooting Federal HW #7, as I picked up a case of them about a month ago.  In KS I'll be using a Kicks choke for some longer range shots more typical of the open terrain.  In MO I'd be very suprised if I get an opportunity over 40 yards, most will be 15 to 20 yards.  I don't want to bring another gun but my SP10 with the Kicks and these shells will throw a baseball/softball pattern at 15 to 20 yards, if not smaller.  I don't even know if these shells with the FC Wad will throw a good 15 to 20 yard pattern regardless of what choke I use, but I'm looking for some insight on what I should do for a 40 yard and less combo with the SP10 and these shells?  Thought about maybe trying them with the flush modified or full rem chokes?  Is there a more open turkey choke out there that might work?  I think PG makes one above a .700?  My last option would be to just get some other loads for the shorter range hunting, maybe some lead loads.  Even then, I would need a good shorter range choke as I think the Kicks is still a bit too tight for lead at these distances.  Any ideas from any of you that have a lot more experience with this setup?  Thanks!

don't want to use the Kicks for this     

Offline Rockhound

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: 40yd and under SP10 set up...?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 03:50:47 PM »
If it were me and I was 100% there would be nothing over 35 yds I would use the same choke and winchester HV #4 or 5. If you handloads load you up a box of ballistics products 2-1/2 oz lead load with nickel plated 5s and take there head off

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 05:21:20 PM »
Just hold steady at close range , or try the chokes that came with the gun like the modified etc..

25 yards 7hw and kicks

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline Rockhound

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 09:55:34 PM »
How much flopping did he do Shannon?

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 10:02:03 PM »
The factory full choke that came with the gun is .720 and should do great out to 40. Mine did before I went to the jelly head. I just need something to shoot at. All this gun/choke/load debate is for nothing if you never get an opportunity to shoot something!!!! ???

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 11:43:34 PM »
He hit the ground like a sack of potatoes --

For me I would stick with one setup and aim carefully , aim carefully for everything ....for close shots aim at the base of the neck - people stress about close shots, yes your pattern is small , but the neck provides a easier to hit target cause , heck its 2-3 times closer
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline M R Ducks

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 03:40:00 AM »
Whatever you do siht in before you go with new shells.  I know my SP throws some shells straight, and some left.

I hunted MO 2 years ago, it was awesome.  Had lousy weather, rain, thunderstorms.  Didn't matter.  Birds worked all morning, every morning. It was television quality.  Have a great time!

Ducks

Offline eight bore

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 09:02:28 PM »
Precision sights may make you feel better, i use a dot and a 675 hastings no sweat.
There is no Left or Right -- there is only freedom or tyranny. Everything else is an illusion, an obfuscation to keep you confused and silent as the world burns around you." - Philip Brennan

Offline Full_Fan

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 09:42:56 PM »
Thanks guys.  I actually picked up a box of Win HV #5 today and will have to see what it does out of the Kicks and he factory full.  Still haven't shot the Fed HW #7 out of the factory chokes yet so maybe I'll have some luck there too.  Not having to by yet another choke would be a good thing :)  I know some guys don't have any issues with smaller patterns, I've just had poor luck with them and do much better with a little more fudge factor involved.  I have thought about precision sights for a couple years but haven't made that step yet, maybe someday.  Ducks - I'm pretty pumped for MO!  Thanks for all the replys from everybody!