OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Long stories and Tall Tales  (Read 3604 times)

Offline Beak

Long stories and Tall Tales
« on: March 31, 2013, 01:21:05 PM »
here is a tall tale for you, I went to Potter County to meet up with my son and do a little bit of turkey hunting last year. He told me that he has the perfect spot. Well we drove at least an hour to get to the spot. He parks along the road and says " get your gear, dont forget anything because it is a long walk to come back for anything." Well we cross this hear field that is probably 50 yards and we come to a creek. He says " we have to cross the creek and go up the hill". Well I made it across the creek even though the current pushed my steps sideways for a piece. (Not to metion the stones on the bottom of the creek were hard to walk on.) I look at this hill and it is not a hill it is a mountain! I craned my neck to look at the top and guess what. I could not see the top of it. Well like any good devil bird hunter, I said lets go.  We start up the hill, oh did I say it was raining.  That meant two steps up, three steps sliding backwards. I got hallway up the hill and found a depression and said" You ain't killing me I'm going now further." He says bye and up the hill he goes. I'm sitting in this depression and I notice it is starting to fill with water.That is how hard it is raining. Well I decided to move a Little further up this hill,because the depression was filling with water big time. Now I am sitting on this little webbed turkey hunting seat, that is probably three inc es off the ground, and right at the brink of the hill. Well as my sawbones has told me that at my age do not put your backside lower then your knees, and you wont have a hard time getting up.  Well I throw my weight forward and did not make it up. So I throw my weight a little harder this time. Guess what? I threw myself up out of that seat and right over the precipice and somersaulted all the way back down the hill to the creek. Lost a Lara bar I had for lunch, gun was pretty muddy. but was glad I did not go into the creek. Oh by the way at that point the turkeys soared off the roost. No shot, no turkey. Lot of laughs though.