Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Opening Day Tomorrow

Started by Hayudog, March 29, 2013, 11:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayudog

Opening day in California tomorrow.  Looked at two different spots close to home yesterday.  Both areas are private, but allow others to hunt them also. Both areas had turkeys.  Saw one that was at least a 3 year old.  Spurs were hooked and white tipped.  With that said I'll be hitting a public area.  A friend has some birds pattered, and says there are a few long beards in the group.  So, the Mud Boat is hooked up and serviced.  Hope the little single shot 20 and TSS gets a chance.  Easter I'll hunt close to home.  Hope to see some birds posted up by the time I get back.  Good luck out there guys.

WildSpur

Good luck!  Cant wait for the report!

Cluck more, yelp less

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

RutnNStrutn

Good luck man!! :icon_thumright: Hope you score on a good one!! :fud: :OGani:

Hayudog

Tough morning on very public ground, Saturday.  Had a group of 3 longbeards, 5 jakes, and about 10 hens put to bed.  Got in real early Saturday morning.  About 30 minutes to shoot time a couple comes down the road, headed towards the roost area.  I think the red Cincinnati ball cap  :fud: should be a dead give away to what happened next.  Couldn't tell, but the shooting started as we heard the hens flying down.  Then about ten minutes later a boat pulls up and a guy jumps off, runs up the hill- shoots 3 times- comes back to the boat cussing about his missing.  To say the least it went pretty quiet after that.  Had a Jake come thru, but it was pretty much a bust.
I think that my idea of getting the public birds early before they get boogered is way off.  Its the goof balls on public ground that are the problem.
No hunting today, family time.  I'll get after them again tomorrow, if it doesn't rain too much today and muddy the ranchers roads too much.

RutnNStrutn

That sucks, but I've experienced that crap here in FLA as well. The only time I hunt pressured WMA's any more is if I haven't tagged out and am desperate ;D, and then I pick large ones where I can get away from the crowds. Then I get on my bike and pedal for miles trying to leave the idiots behind. Good luck on the rest of your season!

Hayudog

Since January we have had 3 days of rain, TOTAL.  Now that it is turkey season it rained Saturday, Sunday morning and pouring today.  Looks like scattered showers all week.  I'm whining about a few showers and then I look at the east coast.  I have gotten it done when the morning rain stops and sun comes out.  Turks like that.

RutnNStrutn

Put on your rain suit, and use a pop up blind if you have one. Go to the fields. That's where you will find turks in the rain. It is supposed to rain in SC on Thursday & Friday, so that is my plan!