OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Fall Turkey Season in Alabama is no more  (Read 9041 times)

Offline fsu33952

Fall Turkey Season in Alabama is no more
« on: March 27, 2013, 10:03:11 PM »
It has been announced that the Conservation Advisory Board has decided to do away with the fall season in the remaining 6 counties in Alabama where it is still legal. This is a board made up of people appointed by the Governor. Not one of who lives in the counties that were effected. There was not advanced notice of their attention. This is very disappointing. I have hunted turkeys in the fall just about all my life and can't imagine stopping now.
Just thought you guys might want to know.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
Re: Fall Turkey Season in Alabama is no more
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 01:43:54 PM »
Sounds like more bar stool biology,just like Arkansas. Thats too bad. Fall turkey hunting is my favorite.I do spring because I can.Sounds like a group of tools that don't understand fall turkey hunting.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline fsu33952

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 05:32:27 PM »
It just makes really no sense considering there is no difference in the bag limits. You can take five in Alabama period. It doesn't matter whether you kill them all in the spring or in the fall. I am not sure but have "heard" that this is all coming from conflict between fall turkey hunters and deer hunters. I hate that because hunters shouldn't be helping to infringe upon one another's rights. There are enough folks out there after us to where we not have to attack one another. It is a shame. The best woodsmen and hunters I have ever known are fall turkey hunters. If one can consistently kill old gobblers in the fall, thn they can kill anything.

Offline Turkey Beard

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 06:28:49 PM »
Tom Kelly is going to have a screaming fit over this!
1UP GAME CALLS - Calls That Put'em On The Wall..
www.1upgamecalls.com

Offline fsu33952

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 06:40:53 PM »
We have a republican governor here and I know a lot of folks that are swearing they are converting over to the dark side all because of this decision.

Offline ziggy

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 07:06:03 PM »
republicans and democrats are more alike then different these days anyway.
"Playing that cowboy music
And it feels good, to be working hard"

Offline fsu33952

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 12:22:52 PM »
Update on the fall season in Alabama. There is a group of folks putting together a petition to try and get the governor to reverse this regulation. From what I have heard from one of the guys that is leading the charge is that the reasoning behind doing away with fall season is that the Board believes it will help the turkey population because deer hunters will stop shooting turkeys. This is laughable because deer hunters shouldn't be shooting turkeys with buckshot or rifles. That is illegal in itself. I think that anyone that will shoot turkeys with a rifle or buckshot is going to do so regardless of whether there is a fall season. An outlaw is an outlaw. There is a big charge for trying to legalize baiting in Alabama and fall turkey season is standing in the way. I have never hunted around bait, but apparently(and I assume it is so) turkeys will come to it in huge droves in the fall. I forgot to mention that one of the guys on the conservation advisory board in Alabama owns a company that builds electric game feeders. Seems like that would be a conflict of interest. I think it is a shame that deer hunters and the few fall turkey hunters still left can not get along.

Offline fsu33952

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 06:43:23 AM »
Please consider signing this petition to help restore the fall season in Alabama. This effects all hunters that come to hunt in Alabama.

http://www.change.org/petitions/hon-n-gunter-guy-ala-dept-of-conservation-and-natural-resources-restore-fall-turkey-season-in-six-alabama-counties

Offline ziggy

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 01:22:28 PM »
if the deer hunters are in favor of baiting, then that's what they'll get.  there are many, many more people who deer hunt then turkey hunt.  hate to say it, but you're fighting an uphill battle.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 01:32:46 PM »
Fall turkey hunters as well as all hunters need a voice. Sign the petition and let your voice be heard.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline fsu33952

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 05:43:47 PM »
 :blob10:
if the deer hunters are in favor of baiting, then that's what they'll get.  there are many, many more people who deer hunt then turkey hunt.  hate to say it, but you're fighting an uphill battle.

There is a study that the State of Alabama itself put out that made a huge case against baiting. The ease in which disease spreads as well predators being able to concentrate in a small area are two biggies. A survey here a few years ago conducted by the Republican Party says that only about 27 percent of the citizens agree with baiting. The people dont want baiting, the guy on the committee that owns a deer feeder business wants baiting. The study by the state actually claims that game harvests decrease after baiting is legalized. This is because people on private land where it is legal will kill more, but the people on public land where it is not legal will kill less. Looks like public land hunters get the bad end of that deal cause all the game go to the baited private land. I am not in favor any instances where the rich are able to use their influence to shaft everyone else. Not fair in my book.

Offline ziggy

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 06:39:10 PM »
i agree with you, but i'm afraid that's how it works.  we just had this debate about fall baiting up here in sc last year.  the lower half of the state has been able to bait while the upper half couldn't.  i'm in the camp where i opposed baiting, mainly due to the reasons you mentioned, in addition to the spread of feral hogs which are inevitably going to come along with baiting statewide.  however, influential people (rich), both in and outside politics, wanted baiting in the upstate and that's what we got. 

the reason given for legalizing baiting statewide is so that the lowstate won't have an unfair season/regulations compared to the upstate.  meanwhile, turkey season in the sc lowstate opens march 15 while the upstate opens april 1.  the deer season in the lowstate opens august 15 for all weapons, while the upstate is september 15 for bow and october 11 for rifle.  if the rich/influential people want something done, they'll get in their representative's ear and make it happen.

Offline fsu33952

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 09:26:09 PM »
I think you are dead on.