OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: HOMEMADE PERMETHRIN TICK SPRAY NEED HELP  (Read 134926 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: HOMEMADE PERMETHRIN TICK SPRAY NEED HELP
« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2019, 01:13:05 PM »
Sorry to bump this thread up but I did not want to start a whole new one just to ask this question, is it safe to leave Martin's Permethrin in the barn over the Winter or will the cold temperatures hurt it in some way? Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2019, 05:23:43 AM »
If there is a chance it will freeze I would definitely take it inside.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2019, 06:07:47 AM »
If there is a chance it will freeze I would definitely take it inside.
Okay, I will grab it when I get home, barn is locked right now and I do not have the key.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2020, 09:07:54 PM »
In the event that your clothes/skin get wet, such as it beginning to rain, will the permethrin absorb into your skin and cause any reactions?
Psalm 46:10

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2020, 07:05:26 PM »
In the event that your clothes/skin get wet, such as it beginning to rain, will the permethrin absorb into your skin and cause any reactions?
I have sensitive skin and am a profuse sweater, I have no problems no matter how badly I sweat.

John Koenig:

Offline Vintage

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2020, 09:23:23 AM »
Picked mine up at Tractor Supply.

Offline DMTJAGER

« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2020, 02:26:18 PM »
Great thread. Go through at least 1 and half bottles every year. I have dedicated turkey cloths for my sons and I, and on the first two rain free days in April I spray down our outer layer of turkey camo and hats. Prior to heading out I spray 90% Deet DWO on my pants and shirts cuffs, gloves, hats and face masks, pants waist, and shirt bottoms and collars.

Last year while scouting new public land in west central IN on a walk while wearing non treated street cloths from my truck into some very thick brush and back to the truck, a total of less than 200 yards I spotted a tic on my arm. I then found no less than 11 more tics on me, and missed three more that ended up burrowing in and having to be removed once I was home.

While doing stand by at a public land area in my home state with 9 other hunters found out in the last three years four of them had contracted Lyme's disease, not the odds I like to hear.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 02:41:27 PM by DMTJAGER »

Offline traderdave

« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2022, 12:24:15 PM »
I buy my permethrin concentrate at Tractor Supply. It's for farm animals, runs about $8 a contailer and has a premeasured 1 oz. section on top of the bottle. Mix it 1 oz. solution to 12-15 oz of water and you are good to go.

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2022, 04:59:42 PM »
Tractor sup is where I picked mine up also I mix 1-18 distilled water. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline Turkeybutt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2022, 06:26:28 AM »
Tractor Supply sells it.
Martins Permethrin 13.3% 32 Oz for $22.99 or Martins 10% 1 Pt. for $13.99

Offline spurred63

« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2022, 03:04:05 PM »
I'm new to this forum and found this extremely helpful. I've been buying the commercially premixed version for way too many years.  The only question I have is I've read some reviews on other sites that some of the permethrin gives off a kerosene like smell. Which brands dry scent free? Thank You!

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #116 on: June 27, 2022, 10:30:00 AM »
I'm new to this forum and found this extremely helpful. I've been buying the commercially premixed version for way too many years.  The only question I have is I've read some reviews on other sites that some of the permethrin gives off a kerosene like smell. Which brands dry scent free? Thank You!
I use Martins and premix as advertised.  I hang EVERYTHING, on a clothesline and soak it, at the start of every season.  I notice an odor when I first apply it but the odor dissipates after drying and hanging on the clothesline for a few hours.  Does it matter to turkeys, not in the least.  If you are using it in the fall for deer hunting, I'll bet they can smell the odor with the right wind.  With a turkey's eyesight and hearing as keen as it is, if they could smell like a deer we would be in BIG trouble!

Offline spurred63

« Reply #117 on: June 27, 2022, 08:00:36 PM »
I use Martins and premix as advertised.  I hang EVERYTHING, on a clothesline and soak it, at the start of every season.  I notice an odor when I first apply it but the odor dissipates after drying and hanging on the clothesline for a few hours.  Does it matter to turkeys, not in the least.  If you are using it in the fall for deer hunting, I'll bet they can smell the odor with the right wind.  With a turkey's eyesight and hearing as keen as it is, if they could smell like a deer we would be in BIG trouble!

I was going to use it for both deer and turkey seasons. I'll definitely use the martins like you suggest but see how it goes for the deer season. As for a turkeys sense of smell, your so right they'd be unkillable! Thank You!

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2023, 08:56:47 AM »
Been using the Duration for years with great success.
https://www.travelerssupply.com/Duration-10-Concentrate-Permethrin-treatment-p/dr10con.htm

A buddy of mine told me that he got 30+ ticks on him just walking to check his wellhead and didn't want to have to slather up in insect repellant just to walk 20 yards through weeds & brush.  I hooked him up with Duration, which he applied that day. The day after (once it dried) he walked through the weeds to his wellhead as a test.  He called to tell me that the only tick he found on him was dead one that was caught where the bottom of his pants made a cuff.  That stuff works like magic.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline wyetterp

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2023, 11:15:35 PM »
Word of advice, add some Picaridin cream (or something) in conjunction with permethrin spray.

Had a tick embedded in my eyelid the other day & had to have a doc get it out. Got prescribed a zpak & ointment.

The picaridin cream is good for the face & around the eyes & ears.

Just cause all your stuff is covered in permethrin, consider the areas that aren't & exposed. They can still get to ya sitting against a tree or walking through brush. 

A first for me. Lesson learned. I hate all those suckers.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.