OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: HOMEMADE PERMETHRIN TICK SPRAY NEED HELP  (Read 135353 times)

Offline hawk

Re: HOMEMADE PERMETHRIN TICK SPRAY NEED HELP
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2015, 11:49:06 AM »
Will it work on chiggers also?

Yes, works well on crawlers like chiggers and ticks.  Not real effective against fliers like mosquitoes.  Just remember, do not let it contact the skin in wet form.  Never apply directly to skin.  Treat clothing and allow to throughly dry.  Will last at least 2 weeks even if you wash the clothing.  This stuff is technically a nerve agent.  use it stictly as instructed on the clothes treatment version and do not mix it any stronger.  For some strange reason the stuff is highly toxic to cats so do not let your wife's lap warmer come in contact with it or you will be in the dog house.
I treated the outside of my cats fabric collar w/this stuff using a q-tip. I let it dry over nite and it seems to work. Did this awhile ago before I read this. He's still alive, dosn't seem to mind it and has had no ticks....yet. There is a new collar out called Seresto treated w/flumethrin which is supposed to be great, cost $40.00 good for 8 mo.

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2015, 08:01:27 PM »
I'm not a vet, so take this for what it's worth.
If you like your kitty, I always thought the 2 didn't go well together.
Maybe you just got lucky.

http://www.icatcare.org/permethrin/vet-info

:TrainWreck1:

Offline popapi1

« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2015, 10:56:38 AM »
While the pemetherin spray looks to be working for you guys I decided to try the Elimitick clothing made by GameHide this spring while turkey hunting. To add to this, it works! I can say it was money WELL spent while watching my buddy pull of me than 50 ticks and I had none on me from wearing the Elimitick clothes! Just thought I'd share!

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2015, 02:42:44 AM »
The bottom line is that if you hunt during tick season, then you must take some action to repel or kill them. Ticks carry too many long-lasting debilitating diseases to be ignored. Now that Southern Illinois has the tiny deer ticks/turkey mites as well as the much larger "dog" ticks, one can't count on feeling them crawl on your skin as a way of detecting their presence. Pick your method of chemical tick control, but do something before you head to the woods or field whether it's to hunt, look for mushrooms, or ride your four-wheeler through the weeds. Most of us know someone who has a tick related disease, suffers from it daily, and it has literally changed their life for the worse. Do not underestimate the need for tick protection before heading for the outdoors!

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2016, 12:35:57 AM »
Here it is one year after I broke my ankle in March, 2015. Last season in early April, I traversed a picked soy bean field via my walker on the first morning of the Southern Illinois opening season with my wife carrying the decoys and my shotgun, took a gobbler that morning, then we toted all the gear and turkey back to the pickup. It seemed like it was uphill both ways! I managed to get another tom three weeks later after I had graduated from the walker to a boot which was sandwiched into a modified blue-jean leg with a black garbage bag duct taped around it. It's now only four weeks until the 2016 Southern Illinois opener and I'll soon be digging out my mouth calls, the same ones that I've successfully used for the past eight years to take three toms annually with the exception of a couple of years where I only got two. Like always, I rarely set up where they are gobblin' but instead go to where they are heading after fly down to breed, usually having birds on me within a couple of hours after daylight. By using a gobble tube to give the impression of an intruder along with aggressive hen yelps to intimidate the boss hen which sometimes drags in a tom, I've been able to bring in gobblers on a consistent basis.  While I usually use my Remington 870 12 gauge with the Undertaker choke tube, I've also been successful with my 20 gauge flintlock fusil and 1889 Remington hammer 12 gauge double.

Offline Notsoyoungturk

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
    • Reel South Outfitters
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2019, 02:00:11 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I think it is very important.  The incidence of tick borne diseases (RMSF, Lyme Disease, Anaplasmosis, Ehrlichiosis, etc) is increasing in the US.  I know we are diagnosing more cases every year in our ED.  Unfortunately, these diseases can cause serious illness and even death if not treated quickly.  As always, prevention is better than treatment.  I have found the Permethrin based clothing spray to be incredibly effective in preventing tick attachment.  Lots of products out there but I have attached the one that I have used and like.  Have fun out there but be safe.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2019, 03:40:29 PM »
You can buy a concentrate on tractor supply in the horse section. I run dogs all summer and spray it on them and my chaps. Works better than that spray stuff. The directions for different usages are included. A friend of mine uses it on his farm for everything. He even kills beehives w it.
It’s cheap and you only add water

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2019, 03:43:37 PM »
Pic of tractor supply stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2019, 08:15:24 PM »
Have you used the mix yet? It is a petroleum based product was wondering if it stains the clothing or smells after drying.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2019, 08:19:00 PM »
Have you used the mix yet? It is a petroleum based product was wondering if it stains the clothing or smells after drying.
Are you referring to concentrate mix?

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2019, 08:22:33 PM »
I’m thinking so. I’ve personally used the tractor supply concentrate mix. I don’t wear any delicate type clothes but it’s stained nothing I wear. I haven’t noticed a smell either after drying. Even wet it’s not crazy strong smelling

Offline Bork

« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2019, 03:25:58 PM »
1oz 10% Permethrin
15oz Water

That's the ratio I use.  Will give you 16oz of anti-tick goodness.   :you_rock:

Andy

Where do you find concentrate permethrin.  I can't find any in my neck of the woods. 

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2019, 05:03:34 AM »
1oz 10% Permethrin
15oz Water

That's the ratio I use.  Will give you 16oz of anti-tick goodness.   :you_rock:

Andy

Where do you find concentrate permethrin.  I can't find any in my neck of the woods.
Tractor Supply.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2019, 09:32:21 AM »
This is the non-petrolium based one:
https://www.amazon.com/Martins-Permethrin-10-Indoor-Outdoor/dp/B01N2ZQ05J
Free shipping too!
 :gobble:

Offline Notsoyoungturk

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
    • Reel South Outfitters
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2019, 07:49:35 PM »
I also ordered off Amazon.  I bottle makes gallons.  I filled up 2 spray bottles and shared with a lot of my hunting buddies. I still have more concentrate than I will use.  Just come to Memphis and bring an empty spray bottle.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear