North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

HOMEMADE PERMETHRIN TICK SPRAY NEED HELP

Started by agturkey, March 06, 2011, 11:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke0002

Questions about application.

1)  Do you spray it on the inside of your pants legs, or just on the outside.  Ditto for shirts and sleeves.

2)  Do you need to spray it on/in socks, and under shorts/shirts? 

3)  Inside your hat?

Thanks.

mightyjoeyoung

Outside.  I usually spray all my outerwear with enough solution to moderately soak everything.  Then hang to dry and you're uasually good for a week to 2 weeks depending on the wether and use.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Lenny870

I've never used it before where can you buy permethrin

Ridge2Ridge

Quote from: 2gbl on March 07, 2011, 09:57:20 AM
Where can you purchase straight permethrin?

Thanks!
2gbl
I get mine from the local Co-Op, just about any Livestock and Feed carries it..."Horse and Stable" which is pre-mixed and ready to spray on your hunting clothes...

orion43

Great info to a itchy problem.  One other idea I plan to use is to get a 4 x 4 or 5 x 5 piece of camo cloth and
soak it.  (use whatever product you feel safe with)  Let it dry, roll it up and stuff in hunting vest and throe it on the ground where you sit.  When you need to move take it with you.  Re-apply solution as need.
Another use is to place it over a poison ivy patch to prevent contact.  Good luck and be safe..

treatcg

Went to local agriclture store today and came away confused.  I have read in this thread that some are using the Martin's brand.  I checked it out and it states in fine print that it is made from petroleum distallants.  In fact, they had three different brands and all have said the same.  Is this stuff safe?

WNY Bowhunter

So, once you have treated your clothes...what happens when it rains?  Does the permethrin come leaching back out on to your skin?
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

treatcg

So is it safe to us products with the following note on the label?  Even the Martin's that claims to be water based has this.

**contains petroleum distillates

Every brand I have seen has this on it.  Martin's, Rural King brand

http://media.ruralking.com/docs/pdf/070010266label.pdf

stinkpickle

I mixed up on Prozap Insectrin X tonight and sprayed down my camo.  The label said it contained petroleum distillates, but I don't worry about it staining camo.  The smell, on the other hand....GOOD GAWD!!!  I think the smell alone will keep the bugs away!  I'm glad I have a week for it to air out before I have to wear it.   :D

hotrod49er

Here in Iowa you can find it at most farm and home stores.  Permectin

Ded Goblr

I'd like to thank every one for this permethrin recipe. I've crawled through areas I usually come out covered with ticks. Not one tick since I sprayed my duds with this permethrin recipe, it's amazing!! Thanks again for sharing this. Hunt hard and good luck. DG

pdaugherty

I know this thread is about Permethin but if you want to try something that is no toxic to humans and works great on ticks, and red bugs try Listerine. You can get a big bottle of the plain ole brown Listerine for cheap at any of the dollar stores. Mix it with water or put it in a spray bottle by itself. I use it all the time and never have ticks or red bugs. It doesn't have that bad a smell either. Just a thought

Gobblehead30

I have used cabela's bugskinz for a few years and they work if you can get over wearing full body camo pantyhose...   :o    It can be a little binding on long walks but its worth it to have no bites.  I give my clothes and hat a light mist of Repel just for extra protection and to try and not bring the little devils back home with me.   

SCGobbler

I just checked with my local farm supply store and they sell Permethrin-10 by Gordon, but that is oil based and to be used on farm animals, not clothing.  Just a heads up as Skeeterbait mentioned.  Looks like the water-based is used more for mosquito control and can be purchased from pest control companies, but the water based is pricey, in comparison.  Still cheaper to do it yourself though.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

SCGobbler

Quote from: pdaugherty on March 07, 2013, 11:05:18 AM
I know this thread is about Permethin but if you want to try something that is no toxic to humans and works great on ticks, and red bugs try Listerine. You can get a big bottle of the plain ole brown Listerine for cheap at any of the dollar stores. Mix it with water or put it in a spray bottle by itself. I use it all the time and never have ticks or red bugs. It doesn't have that bad a smell either. Just a thought

What ratio do you use for Listerine?
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge