OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: HOMEMADE PERMETHRIN TICK SPRAY NEED HELP  (Read 134919 times)

Offline double-lung

Re: HOMEMADE PERMETHRIN TICK SPRAY NEED HELP
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2011, 02:31:38 PM »
I just picked up the Martin's 10% at Rural King. According to another website, this is water based.
By the way, I am new to this site so if I have done something incorrectly, please be gentle when you correct me.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Beretta Xtrema 2
Killer B
Mossy Oak

Offline Number17

• Pennsylvania 4E
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2011, 09:09:19 AM »
This has been discussed many times and finally made a "sticky" on our Pa. Hunting forum.
The Lawn and Garden concentrates are what you want to use because they are water based and made to be diluted with water.
Some guys want to go with the "more is better" routine, but you have to remember you are dealing with a poison, and a recommended dosage was established.  It works.  I've been using it for the past 3 years.  I went from picking off hundreds of ticks, with dozens embedded.....to zero.  Absolutely zero for the past 3 years.  You can watch them crawl up your pant legs, and by the time the reach your thigh, they are dead.

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2179977&fpart=1
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Offline hoyt

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2011, 07:21:59 AM »
I mixed up 16ozs. (1oz 10% Permethrin 15oz water) of DurationTM Permethrin 10% Concentrate from Amazon and put it in an old window cleaner spray bottle (instead of soaking in the bag that comes with it) and sprayed pants and shirt. Haven't had a tick on me since. I can walk out in the front yard wearing non treated clothes and immediately get tics

Offline A. Felix

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2011, 07:47:31 PM »
brand new to this forum.  having contracted Lymes not once but twice already in my life (im 26) while turkey hunting i will def. try this out.  up until now i've been wairing head to tow tight underarmer heat gear and it's worked to keep them from getting to skin but this seems like a great 1st line of defence.

Offline TrophyTracker

• Everyone's a Pro from the sidelines..
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2011, 12:14:40 AM »
I used the 1oz/15oz ratio mix on my clothes in Pa this Spring, and can vouch for it's effectiveness. I hunted on one day in particular with my Uncle, who pulled 42 ticks off of his clothes by days end. I was with him at every point of the day and followed the same trails, etc. and did not even have one tick so much as land on me and fall off. They avoided me like a studio executive would Charlie Sheen

The bottle I bought is $6 at Tractor Supply Co. :z-winnersmiley:
New to you, not the game
Drink a Monster, Live Forever!
Beatdown City Fl

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2011, 01:43:21 PM »
Most any farm and feed store will have it. $20 or les for a quart tip and pour bottle. Most have a label that will give % mixing instructions. Dont think a little is good and more is better. This stuff is still very toxic.

John

Actually, permethrin is harmless to humans and canines as long as you don't drink it...it is DEADLY to cats though!  If you ever had or know anyone who's ever hade scabies, then you are familar with the treament.  It is a 5%+ permethrin based cream that covers the patient FROM HEAD TO FOOT and you leave it one for what ever the prescribed length of time is as determined by the Dr.  I am a nurse and have done these treatments before.  The permethrin is actually absorbed into the skin to kill the scabies mites burrowing under the skin layers and on dogs (by using the the flea drops) it is absorbed into the skin to be lethal to any fleas that bite the dog.  it is metabolised in the body easilly and in fact can keep you flea free just like the dog for a while!   :TooFunny:  You do not however want to ingest it as it can be harmfull then.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:08:13 PM by mightyjoeyoung »
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Offline no_1_u_know

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2012, 01:41:55 AM »
Thanks old Frank, I didn't see that.

This is another .10.0% .non-petroleum based Permethrin. PEST RID

Doesn't say if it's okay to use on clothing..I may call and ask. I got to get something like it for my dog. The Advantix didn't faze the tics on him last yr. and looks like they are going to be as bad or worse this yr.

Another one DURVET'S PERMETHRIN 10%

3/17/1011
Went and listened yesterday..didn't hear but one and was so far off I couldn't tell which direction.

Got home and so far picked two more tics off. These things are real small not as big as a BB..but not seed tics and you know you got one cause they itch bad and leave an itchy bump that turns into a little open sore by the time I get through clawing it with my fingernails.

DurationTM Permethrin 10% Concentrate on the way.

Durvets: "Contains Petroleum Distilates"   

NOT GOOD!

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2012, 10:03:06 AM »
The best way to treat your clothes is to soak them thoroughly in the diluted solution, lightly squeeze them out and then lay them out flat on a sheet of plastic in a breezy, shady area. Wear rubber gloves for this. Check on them once in a while and flip them over occasionally to let the other side dry. It will take a while longer to thoroughly dry out, so do this a few days before you need to wear them. This approach is preferable to hanging them up on something. Hanging your clothes will cause the solution to run down to the bottom of your clothes, leaving the upper most areas (shoulders, waist) with insufficient coverage.

Just a small tip to help.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2012, 12:52:48 PM »
Found this info on another site and thought I would share the link

http://www.tickinfo.com/permethrin.htm

Offline Wycliff

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2012, 10:25:19 PM »
Great information

Offline Rockhound

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2012, 09:54:49 AM »
what exactly does it do to skin

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2012, 11:42:52 AM »

I don't know what it does specifically to human skin, but all warnings associated with it say that Permethrin is intended to only be used as a clothing treatment, and should not be applied directly to skin. It is generally considered to be completely harmless to people once it has dried. Tests have shown that it will kill ticks that have crawled across as little as 10" of treated clothing. 

The U.S. Army recommends clothing treated in Permethrin and the use of 30% Deet on exposed skin as complete protection for soldiers in insect infested areas.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline joshb311

• Huntin' hookers.
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2012, 08:42:17 PM »

The U.S. Army recommends clothing treated in Permethrin and the use of 30% Deet on exposed skin as complete protection for soldiers in insect infested areas.

FC

.... I just hope that their recommendation on this isn't anything like their recommendations were on the use of Agent Orange.  :TrainWreck1: ;)

Offline DirtNap647

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2012, 09:33:35 PM »
coulda saved alot of money over the years

Offline Frank_T

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2012, 09:44:59 PM »
This is a great sticky ! Been buying it but may have to give this a try .