OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Bowhunting fall turkeys with tom decoys  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Mountain Man

Bowhunting fall turkeys with tom decoys
« on: June 23, 2011, 04:01:17 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this (bowhunting or the fall turkey forum) but I decided to put it here since this situation could apply to gun hunters too that might try to ambush a tom along a preferred travel route.

Does anyone bowhunt fall toms using one or more tom decoys?

I have never purposely hunted fall turkeys but instead have shot some while deer hunting that just happened to walk by.  This fall I want to specifically pursue a tom or two with the bow.  To do this, I will be hunting a property that is bowhunting only.  I have hunted this property for several years and most years there is usually a small group of toms (maybe 3-5) and a hen or two with their broods.  I have noticed that their movements are fairly predictable.  I plan to use a blind and based on some pre-season and in season scouting I will set up along their travel route in or near an alfalfa field that is bordered by corn and woods.  I've been thinking about using some standing and relaxed jake decoys that I'll give new paint jobs to and add some longer beards.  I can occasionally do some tom yelping or other calling if necessary.  Has this type of setup worked for others?  
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 04:04:06 PM by Mountain Man »

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
Re: Bowhunting fall turkeys with tom decoys
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 08:49:54 PM »
You bet.When you noticed there movements are predictable you have a lot of the hunt wraped-up.I use decoys all the time when fall turkey bowhunting and have great success.Fall is all about pecking order and food.Use both to your advantage.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy