turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ready to Make a Change to my 870 Trigger

Started by Gobble!, March 06, 2011, 09:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobble!

Alright fellas I'm tired of all the creep. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Justin

honker22

I just put a Patriot trigger kit on mine.  All it is, is a replacement spring.  10X better and only $15
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

pullit

Quote from: honker22 on March 06, 2011, 09:14:09 PM
I just put a Patriot trigger kit on mine.  All it is, is a replacement spring.  10X better and only $15

+1 :icon_thumright:

honker22

People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Gobble!

onelow69c10

Just put one in mine yesterday made a big improvement. I read you can also polish the sear but I didnt want to get into that above my comfort level.

SinGin

I bought a lighter spring from brownells(I think that's how it's spelled). I got great service from them but I didn't really notice much of a change. It might have reduced it about a pound and a half at most. I'm still happy with it anyway, a pound is a pound. I kind of wish I had bought the trigger kit from Midway Arms.

archery1

anybody no if i can work on my mossy 835 trigger ?
Take a kid hunting

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Gobble! on March 06, 2011, 09:11:10 PM

Thanks,
Justin

The very best is the Timney 870 Trigger Fix. It's expensive but it makes your 870 trigger feel like a custom rifle trigger. I've put them in two of my  870s and the difference is amazing. It takes out all of the creep and you can adjust the poundage to meet your needs.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

hookedspur

:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

woodchip

I just put a Patriot trigger kit on mine.  All it is, is a replacement spring.  10X better and only $15

I just put one in to, and it still has the same amount of creep but it's lighter once your to the end of the creep.  So if you want to get rid of the creep this might not work for you.

Gobble!

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 06, 2011, 11:12:48 PM
Quote from: Gobble! on March 06, 2011, 09:11:10 PM

Thanks,
Justin

The very best is the Timney 870 Trigger Fix. It's expensive but it makes your 870 trigger feel like a custom rifle trigger. I've put them in two of my  870s and the difference is amazing. It takes out all of the creep and you can adjust the poundage to meet your needs.

Thanks,
Clark

I think I'm going to go this route

woodchip

I just checked out that Timney 870 fix.  That is a great idea, I'm going to try one of those!  Great suggestion by Clark, he always has some good advice.

Gobble!

While I'm talking about it I might as well tell a little story.

It was my first time turkey hunting by myself. Wasn't hearing anything so I sat down and did a little calling. After about 20 minutes 3 gobbled about 40 yards behind me. I was too scared to move so they ending up walking by me at 5 yards. I was tucked so far into a bush there was no way they were going to see me. I was using a MAD hatchet call that I thought was the best thing since sliced bread. After they walked away to about 40 yards I called and they hamered back. One finally walked into my shooting lane at about 20 yards, I squezzed the trigger and NOTHIG. Darn dead shell. Slowly pumped the old 870 and got another shell in the gun. Tried again. NO WAY another dead shell. At this point I was mad and when I reloaded the birds saw something and wondered off. I pumped in another shell and called again. All three gobbled again and came back to about 35. Squeezed the trigger and finally the gun went off. Killed my first bird a jake, but what a great hunt.

Now the good part.

Checked the 2 DEAD shells. The firing pin never touched them. I was so nervous that when I felt the trigger move and nothing happened I assumed it was bad shells  :TooFunny:

Ever since that day I have always made sure to keep pulling the trigger its bound to go off but I would like to eliminate that.