OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Someone want to take a whack at this

Started by ole835, March 06, 2011, 07:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ole835

How can a paticular gun ,using the same load, shoot a tighter pattern with a less restrictive choke compared to a more open pattern using a very tight choke?

Jourdan_D

Shot is getting compressed to much aka over choking and blowing out the pattern.

knightrider

Quote from: Jourdan_D on March 06, 2011, 07:43:52 PM
Shot is getting compressed to much aka over choking and blowing out the pattern.
:agreed:

hookedspur

Quote from: Jourdan_D on March 06, 2011, 07:43:52 PM
exactly
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

hookedspur

This is kind of a ruff attempt to explain it next time you have a water hose in your hand adjust the nozzle to tight and the stream opens, to loose the same thing,and it varies as to the size of the hose as comparred to the nozzle.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

ole835

OK.  I'm learning something here but I still have a question. 

Lets say hunters #A and #B each have a gun of the same model shotgun.  If all things are equal how is it possible for hunter #A to get a nice tight pattern with a .670 choke and hunter #B to have a loose and open pattern with the same .670 choke? 

Jourdan_D

each gun is going to be different even if its the same make/model.  Same as you have have two same model cars and one is a lemon and one is not....but they are the same type car.  each barrel get machined "different" same goes for the bolt, trigger and so one.  I shoot an 835 and a lot of people the puregold .670 loves there gun, my gun hated it but it liked a kicks GT .670.

mcgruff1533

Quote from: ole835 on March 06, 2011, 08:12:04 PM
OK.  I'm learning something here but I still have a question. 

Lets say hunters #A and #B each have a gun of the same model shotgun.  If all things are equal how is it possible for hunter #A to get a nice tight pattern with a .670 choke and hunter #B to have a loose and open pattern with the same .670 choke? 

Every shotgun bore is different.    Two guns made back to back on the line may shoot entirely different with the same choke/ load.     Just because a .670 brand X choke works find in your shotgun doesn't mean that brand X .670 choke will perform the same in your buddies gun of the same make and model.

ole835

Gotcha.  There's alot of variables that we can't control.  We just have to spend the money on ammo and chokes and see what works. 

Turkey hunting was alot cheaper when I was huntin with a 30yr old Wingmaster.

Jourdan_D

you dont have to spend a lot of money to find a good pattern.  If you want to find a great pattern then sometimes you get lucky and it's the first choke you try........or you could be like me and it was only after trying about 12 chokes and 12 diffent boxes of ammo that i found a great pattern.

ole835

You're right.  I guess most of us including me are chasing a great pattern or maybe even the perfect turkey pattern.  At least I'm not alone, this board is full of people trying to improve on their pattern.  Oh well, thrill of the chase continues.