OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Turkey Thug 3 1/2 #6, SSX choke, Moss. 835= Dead Turkey!!!

Started by Matt81302, March 13, 2013, 03:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

Great pattern!

Picked some 3.5 6's up today at 13.00 for 10 shells. If I can get a patern like that with my 11-87, I'll definitely be dropping the hevi-13.

Heavy 13 6's was getting a bit over 200, but if I could get anywhere like that I'll consider the price difference. I'm one who like to shoot and practice with the shells I hunt with, and refuse to do it at 30.00+ dollars for 5 shells. I might shoot 6 or seven boxes before the Season just for the fact to shoot and prcatice, and have no probem with that at 13.00 for 10 shells, time will tell?

cjordan

Quote from: Matt81302 on March 13, 2013, 03:36:52 PM
I went over to my buddies house to pattern some turkey load yesterday and found the winning combination. I was planing on shooting Federal Turkey Thugs 3 1/2 #6 out of my 835 with Jellyhead choke. I was getting 150ish hits in 10in. circle at 40yds. He tells me he has a SSX choke he used with his 935 he had back in the day and I should try it in my 835. The end results were 172 hits at 40yds and a very good even pattern.
WOW thats good! I tried some in my 835 today after seeing the hype and only wound up with 85 in the 10 at 40yds, and it wasnt very even. I have posished my barrel, so I dont know what the problem could be. Oh I was using a ssx also.

scastle

shot excatct same set up yesterday and got nowhere near that amount of hits,cant understand whats the diff is. :(

Philippe

Quote from: scastle on March 30, 2013, 08:55:07 AM
shot excatct same set up yesterday and got nowhere near that amount of hits,cant understand whats the diff is. :(

No two guns will shoot the same. Have you deep cleaned and polished that barrel good?

Lucky Clucker

I got some gonna see how they do on paper still shy about shooting a turkey with lead 6's, lost a lot in the past with lead 6's and from a 10 ga. and 12 ga. that patterned great, we'll see.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

Philippe

Quote from: Lucky Clucker on April 02, 2013, 12:57:41 AM
I got some gonna see how they do on paper still shy about shooting a turkey with lead 6's, lost a lot in the past with lead 6's and from a 10 ga. and 12 ga. that patterned great, we'll see.

One of two reasons why you lost birds on 6's. Those guns didnt really pattern like you think they did or you were taking some really long shots.

the Ward

fmf

I love the SSX......had one in two guns so far, 1187 and mossy 500.

in BOTH guns I tried most of the big name chokes and the ssx won me over every time

Nick_The_Tinkerer

Very Nice Pattern I like the evenness....
I hope mine is like that when I finally get a chance to get out to pattern.

Lucky Clucker

Quote from: Lucky Clucker on April 02, 2013, 12:57:41 AM
All shots were 40 yards to 35 yards,a few were thru small brush but most were clear shots,the ones I killed with 6's were tore up, but a lot of the shot was stuck in the bone or cracked it,flatten out and deflected off the vertebra,withHevi shot it goes all the way thru.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.