OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Turkey Thug 3 1/2 #6, SSX choke, Moss. 835= Dead Turkey!!!

Started by Matt81302, March 13, 2013, 03:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt81302

I went over to my buddies house to pattern some turkey load yesterday and found the winning combination. I was planing on shooting Federal Turkey Thugs 3 1/2 #6 out of my 835 with Jellyhead choke. I was getting 150ish hits in 10in. circle at 40yds. He tells me he has a SSX choke he used with his 935 he had back in the day and I should try it in my 835. The end results were 172 hits at 40yds and a very good even pattern.

alclark2

WOW! I just bought that choke and it's in the mail. Thanks for posting this. MY IC BDS .675 put up 147 but that is significantly better.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Matt81302

Yeah, it blew my mind. I was more than happy with the Jellyhead, but he just happened to have the SSX laying around and told me to try it because it done very well in his old 935. I'll take it.

BrowningGuy88

albrubacker

Man you guys are getting some awesome patterns with those thugs!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

chipper

Makes you wonder what the heavyweight 7's would do in a conventional wad.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Federal has finally produced what looks to be the best lead load ever made with this new ammo.  That is very impressive.  Was that 40yds tape measured or stepped off or lasered?  Just curious. 

VAarrowslinger

Since these thugs are not copper plated pellets, do you think maybe they are smaller than normal and have more pellets per oz. than copper plated shells? Is this a reason they pattern so well?

BandedSpur

Quote from: VAarrowslinger on March 13, 2013, 09:04:25 PM
Since these thugs are not copper plated pellets, do you think maybe they are smaller than normal and have more pellets per oz. than copper plated shells? Is this a reason they pattern so well?

Only way to know is to cut them open, weigh and count. But CP is too thin to make an appreciable size difference in shotgun pellets.

Matt81302

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 13, 2013, 08:54:26 PM
Federal has finally produced what looks to be the best lead load ever made with this new ammo.  That is very impressive.  Was that 40yds tape measured or stepped off or lasered?  Just curious.

Range finder.

captin_hook

If I didn't already have a stock pile of hevi 13, I'd be hunting with them.

Rockhound

Quote from: VAarrowslinger on March 13, 2013, 09:04:25 PM

They are normal #6 size i have opened them, the copper coating isn't enough to make. Difference

Grobec1

Are the Turkey Thug shells the same as the Federal Strut Shok shells in the blue box? Bass Pro and Cabelas don't say if they are Turkey Thug. Local Wal Mart don't have them.  Thanks

cntrlPAlngbrds

Matt81302

"Turkey Thugs" are only sold at Walmart. I can't tell any difference in the thugs and the strut shok in the blue box. Me and a buddy shot both back to back out of his gun the other day and had pretty much two identical patterns. The same??? You tell me.