Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Two more 870 20's to hit the turkey woods this spring!!!

Started by Sand Man, March 13, 2013, 08:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sand Man

I built two last year for my dad and I.  Two of my close friends whom I turkey hunt with couldn't stand it and talked me into building them guns.  Both are 21" youth models.  One was purchased with the synthetic stocks on it, so all I had to do was replace the butt stock with a Knoxx.  The other had wood furniture, so I replaced the forearm with a synthetic from Remington and butt was also replaced with a Knoxx adjustable stock.  Both guns were drilled and tapped for Weaver rails and topped with Burris FF II's with Warbird guards.  Both had limbsaver recoil pads installed.  Both got custom paint jobs from me.   ;D  Both guns are going to run Remington Super Full chokes with 1 5/8oz TSS #9 reloads unless the patterning board tells me different today.

Assembled last night after paint/clear had dried for two days.  Not the best pics with the cell phone, but here they are:

Not 100% happy with them, but at least they aren't solid black now.  Learned a few more lessons this go around with one being to base layer the tracks black where they'll pop.  You really have to know what you are looking at to notice them on the gun.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

870FaceLift

Impressive setups you built there.  They look like they'll knock some heads for sure!
:OGturkeyhead:
Pass it on...

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Sand Man

Thanks.  They look to be killers!     :z-guntootsmiley:  Both were 40 yard shots, with Remington Super Full Chokes, and 1 5/8oz TSS #9 reloads.

First 309 in the 10" and 226 in the 20" for 535 total.

Second 218 in the 10" and 289 in the 20" for 507 total.

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Longspur321

That's awesome man! Hope you don't mind, but I like your 20's so much I had no choice but to copy yours.... :)
"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."--John Wayne

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."--Steve McQueen

Sand Man

Quote from: Longspur321 on March 14, 2013, 11:04:07 AM
That's awesome man! Hope you don't mind, but I like your 20's so much I had no choice but to copy yours.... :)

SHOOT!  Had it not been for OG, I'd know nothing about these 20ga stompers.  I'm a follower and not a trend setter.   ;D  ;D  ;D

Brian Stewart

But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD.  Joshua 24:15

lmbhngr

AC 870

Love these guns. Did you find the Knoxx stocks or did you already have them?  Can you still get these stocks?  Also, do you hunt turkeys with the 9s?  Is that a lead shot or a heavier-than-lead.  I'm shooting a single shot 20 right now and want a new pump 20 turkey gun. Can't decide on 870 or Mossberg youth frame. Wondering about availability of Knoxx stocks.

Ice man

Where can you find the stock for the Remington 870 20 ga. My wife just started turkey hunting and is hooked and she likes the looks of it.i would love to build her gun into a awesome Turk gun thanks for the info.

Sand Man

Quote from: AC 870 on March 15, 2013, 01:18:29 AM
Love these guns. Did you find the Knoxx stocks or did you already have them?  Can you still get these stocks?  Also, do you hunt turkeys with the 9s?  Is that a lead shot or a heavier-than-lead.  I'm shooting a single shot 20 right now and want a new pump 20 turkey gun. Can't decide on 870 or Mossberg youth frame. Wondering about availability of Knoxx stocks.
Sorry.  Just saw this.  Thanks!

I found the Knoxx stocks on Ebay and another forum used.  I got lucky that I got them right after I knew Knoxx discontinued them.  Here recently I've seen them selling for $200+ on Ebay which is stupid in my opinion.  You best bet now is either an ATI stock if you want something adjustable like the Knoxx or a Remington Surshot stock if you don't need it to be adjustable.

I 100% shoot 9's at turkeys.  The shot is tungsten shot which is more dense than Hevi Shot and Federal HD.  That's the reason I can go all the way down in shot size to 9's.

Hope that helps.

Quote from: Ice man on May 13, 2013, 08:29:19 PM
Where can you find the stock for the Remington 870 20 ga. My wife just started turkey hunting and is hooked and she likes the looks of it.i would love to build her gun into a awesome Turk gun thanks for the info.

Ebay for Knoxx, but if you don't want to pay those inflated prices check out ATI's website.

mossyoakpro

Phillippians 4:13