OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Food plots  (Read 3112 times)

Offline wilks

Food plots
« on: February 11, 2011, 07:39:35 AM »
I have a question regarding food plots.
Our club has food plots from 1 acre to 1/4 acre ( 2larger ones 2 smaller) distributed over  the property in eastern west Va.
The plots are clover (mixed red and white).
We over seed in fall (late August)with wheat and oats and rape. In the spring (on the 2 larger plots)I spray with poast to kill the grasses and mow all to about 4-6 " thru summer. It's a constant battle to fight the grasses but the process seems to be working well. The debate were having is
 Spraying with poast to kill grassses in spring and mowing as opposed to letting wheat and oats grow to seed, and doing nothing, and round up disc and replant each fall.

Our "program" in the past has been to roundup and replant each fall. This becomes a very expensive (fertilizer) and labor intensive task. The 2 larger plots where I've used the poast and mow process have the very best clover we've ever grown, and have not required replanting for the last 2 years.

What are your thoughts as fare as turkeys (poults and adults)being able to feed in the unmowed plots as opposed to the shorter plots. I maintain that its easier for the young birds to to feed in the lower vegatation, and it's more cost effective.

If this is the wrong forum please move to the correct location.

Offline Lovett

Re: Food plots
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 12:46:42 PM »
wilks,

Food plots for grown turkeys have never been shown to improve the turkey population.  I don’t think it is cost effective in most cases.  The best way to increase your turkey population is to provide habitat and food for young poults.  Grassy and weedy cover is excellent brood habitat.  You can mow your food plots to keep the brush out and encourage succulent plant growth that attract insects. 

If you want to plant something, brown top millet is your best bet.  Check with your County Agent or other local source about planting dates and plant two weeks earlier than recommended.  If frost gets the first planting, replant immediately. you will have millet seed when the poults are young.  Young turkeys will strip millet while they are in the “milk” stage and continue to eat the seed after they harden.

Good luck.