OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Clover plots for turkeys  (Read 11918 times)

Offline 870FaceLift

• The Boss Gobbler
Clover plots for turkeys
« on: March 05, 2013, 03:38:48 PM »
I know that the NWTF pushes chufa for turkey plots, but my local extension office is telling me that it will be hard to grow with our soil conditions.  They are recommending that I plant a mix of clovers instead.  Have any of you had any success with a clover plot attracting turkeys to feed?  I know it will bring in deer, but I'm looking for something to hold the turkeys.  This will be my first plot - aside from leaving standing beans in the fall.  Thanks.
Pass it on...

Offline Garrett Trentham

Re: Clover plots for turkeys
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:35:37 PM »
Yes, turkeys love clover. It's a great source of protein. In my experience, clover has the greatest drawing power early in the spring because it is one of the first edible plants to green up. Turkeys will eat clover throughout the growing season as well.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

Offline gob09

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:42:40 PM »
Congrats.on your first plot I enjoy working on them I planted about 10,000square feet on clover  last fall we  have pictures of toms in it already I hope the birds use it this spring  good luck with yours

Sent from my C771

Offline 870FaceLift

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 11:10:04 AM »
Thanks for the confidence fellas!  I'll add some photos as this project moves along.  I think I'll start with Imperial Clover.
Pass it on...

Offline darron

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 10:46:21 AM »
 All I plant on my farm is cereal grains and clover. I usually fall plant my clovers with winter rye and oats. Fall planted clovers have less weed issues plus the rye heads out and provides additional feed

Offline darron

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 10:48:51 AM »
Dont waste your $ on name brand clover plant ladino and red clovers fron your local seed mill. I plant a mix of alice jumbo ladino and medium red. Frost seeding in fed and march works well too

Offline darron

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 10:56:34 AM »
Attached are some turkeys feeding in a fall planted rye/clover mix plot. The turkeys love this small secluded food plot. Great place for them to strut in the spring. I have two other plots in the same mix and the deer and turkey feed in this mix daily. Cheap to plant too! Clover is easy to maintain for weeds. Simply spray with clethodim twice a year and it cleans it up

Offline 870FaceLift

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 10:20:11 AM »
Dang, darron, nice thick plot you got there.  I planted the Imperial before I read your reply, but will use your advice for a different plot in the fall.  The clover is starting to come up despite the poor/wintery weather we're still having here.  I also planted ten apple trees in various varieties.  Despite the protection I put around them, the deer have already nibbled off every bud and limb tip on them.  I'll put up some trail cam photos when I get a chance.
Pass it on...

Offline DirtNap647

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 10:59:25 AM »
what fertilizer do you put on clover to get it growing?

Offline darron

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 11:51:06 AM »
6-26-26

Offline scoot12

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 08:51:12 AM »

Here are three more pics from last week of turks in my antler king trophy clover plot,  they love clover.  Scoot