OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Over&Under Question

Started by campcreekfarm, March 05, 2011, 07:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

campcreekfarm

I have a Browning 3 1/2" over and under and I have been doing some hard thinking about using it turkey hunting.  I was wondering for those of yall that hunt with one do you use the same choke with both barrells or how do yall set em up?  Any suggestions would be helpful being that there are so many options.

R AJ

These run the gamut from one really tight to one modified or so and hevi in one with lead in the other, you name it. Know what you need for your situation and develop a combo that suits your guns limitations an dstick with it. Do not try to get too complicated. Do try both barrels at the same distance ie, 30 and 40 yards to see if they are close to POA/POI .

I like having a very convincing first shot and saving the other shell for the next bird.

deadbuck

I hunt with a citori satin hunter 3 1/2 and put a briley .675 turkey extra full in bottom barrel and a briley .720 modified in top barrel for close shots. My bottom barrel shoots straight, but top barrel shoots 6 inches high at 40 yards.  Works great and is my favorite shotgun. :jackson:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: campcreekfarm on March 05, 2011, 07:38:51 PM
I have a Browning 3 1/2" over and under and I have been doing some hard thinking about using it turkey hunting.  I was wondering for those of yall that hunt with one do you use the same choke with both barrells or how do yall set em up?  Any suggestions would be helpful being that there are so many options.

I have a SxS that I use at times for turkeys. At first I tried the more open, tighter chokes but after a few years and never really needing a real close one (10 yards or so) I finally just put two .650 chokes in it. I've killed a few birds with just that way.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."