OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester SXP W/ Win. Supreme's

Started by btmonnat, March 02, 2013, 06:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btmonnat

Well I finally got a calm day to try my Tru-Glo SSX .643 constriction choke tube on my Winchester SXP 24'' turkey gun.  At 40 yards the best I could get was 72 pellets in a 10'' circle with 3'' winchester supreme's 1 3/4 oz. # 6's. These were the best of the winchester supreme 6's I tried. The 3 1/2'' 2 oz. I got 55 in the 2'' circle. I do not think these are great #'s but I do not know what else to try because I want to shoot lead.

Matt81302

Give the Federal Turkey Thugs a try. I shot some 3 1/2 #5's out of my 835 with jellyhead choke and the Mossberg choke that came with the gun and got 115 hits at 40 with moss. choke and 108 with jellyhead. That was with a dirty barrel too.

TWOWITHONE

That gobbler is history with those numbers. I was once told a gobbler is dead with 3 pellets to the head more is better but sometimes you dont have that choice. Is that turk any more dead with 180 pellets in his head or 55 pellets dead is dead.

surehuntsalot

dead is dead
4-6 pellets will do the job
they are not bullet proof
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

bmarine

:fud: I also just got a Winchester sxp black shadow I am wanting to shoot the hevi shot mag blend any ideas on what would be one of the top chokes for that round in my Winchester

Onpoint

Quote from: bmarine on March 21, 2013, 09:36:21 PM
:fud: I also just got a Winchester sxp black shadow I am wanting to shoot the hevi shot mag blend any ideas on what would be one of the top chokes for that round in my Winchester
A buddy of of mine is runnin that gun with a .660 pure gold and 3.5" magblends gettin unreal patterns.

EASY

I think you maybe over constricted. I have a sx3 and I shoot 665. Both of our guns have the same dimension barrels. Mine shoots 6s well but not 5s

btmonnat

I think to I may be over constricted. That seems to be what most on here think. I would think same guns would be close. Might try a .660 pure gold. Thanks for the replies.

BHMTitan

I still use lead in my Invector Plus Browning A5, 2-3/4" 12ga, 21" barrel.  I too tried the SSX, but got better numbers with the IC 655 and 665, and the HeviShot 664.  Be sure to try some of the Turkey Thugs, they're giving great patterns here on OG.

COPPERDOG

Hopefully this weekend I will get a chance to try Hevi-13 3" 2oz #6 and 3" Mag Blend out of my Winchester sxp turkey with 24" barrel using the Hevi-13  .664 choke.