turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Please be careful this year...

Started by northms, March 01, 2013, 10:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

Since some seasons seem to be starting for our far South brethren I just wanted to make one of the first annual safety post. Some of you might remember me posting last year about how I was nearly shot last year on my own private farm.

Had the neighbor's cousin sneak to the edge of our adjoining property and shoot out of some thick crap out into our pasture. I just happened to be calling that bird towards me on the line and he didn't know I was there and BOOM! About 10 yards away and in a flash things got interesting in all the wrong ways. I was fine and he ended up getting several fines but it could have been worse.

Don't assume since you're doing all the right things regarding safety that everyone else is also. Hunt defensively and remember that no bird is worth the danger of a fatal accident.

Feel free to share your safety tips in this thread. Good luck and here's to a safe year.  :OGturkeyhead:

BrowningGuy88

Yes please be careful. I was shot my senior year in high school by a trespasser. Luckily he was shooting lead 6's and I was tucked under an oak with low hanging limbs. We were both more scared than I was hurt, but it has taken a long time for us to mend our relationship. We now hunt together a couple times each year.

CASH

My BIL and I were almost shot on public land while working two birds last year. A couple of yards and it would have been in our faces.

Scares the piss out if you.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

tomstopper

I agree with all that has been said. Please be safe and remember you can't plan on stupid people to be as safe as you. Always be aware & be on the defense. Good luck this season.....

TrackeySauresRex

Good Post... Please B-Safe everyone!
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

NYbassman

Thanks for the reminder, definitely an important one. It is terrible that we even have to worry about such things, and "accidents" are all too common in this sport. I have one property that I hold exclusive permission on, but it is tresspassed on from 3 sides more than any property I know of. It is actually to the point that I have a hard time relaxing and enjoying myself when I hunt there, even though it can be a great property, simply because I have had so many encounters with trespassing scumbags, some of which could have ended very badly. I Find myself looking over my shoulder every time I hear a twig break when I hunt there, not to mention being afraid too move around to much on a property that I am the only person legally allowed to hunt. Coming out of a thicket and facing a gun trained on you really scares the sh!t out of you though, hard to NOT think about it every time you are moving around repositioning on a bird.