OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Painted my 16 gauge for some turkey action.

Started by KYStalker, August 11, 2012, 01:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYStalker

So after reading about guys camo painting their old guns, I was inspired to bring my old Montgomery and Ward SB-100a 16 gauge out of storage and give it new life as a turkey killer.  It's got a permanent full barrel and is a single shot.  I sanded the finish off the stocks and sanded the blueing off the barrel and action.  A base coat of primer was followed by tan, and then brown, green, and dark green using a sponge.  I've attached before and after pictures, but the before picture is from a similar gun b/c I didn't take before pics of the actual gun.
If you're not first, your last!!

KYStalker

vaturkey

Vaturkey

gobblergls

Very nice job!  I wonder who made the gun for Montgomery and Ward....Savage??  Do you know what year it was made?

KYStalker

I've heard that it was Savage, and I think it was made in the 60's or 70's.  The gun doesn't even have a serial number on it.

Deputy 14

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

CntrlPA

That thing will disappear in the turkey woods!

TrackeySauresRex

:icon_thumright: Very Nice! Did you use a sponge to do that?
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

KYStalker

Yeah, I used a sponge from the craft store.  It was a natural sponge with the really, irregular holes in it.  I also learned to let each layer dry completely before applying the next, b/c I got in a rush to see it completed and didn't let the tan coat totally dry.  It caused the overlapping layers of color to pull away in places when I reassembled the gun.  It's not real noticeable, but I learned a lesson.

Shawn H.

:happy0064: It looks good to me. Need to try one of my guns. :jesus-cross:

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott