turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

purple martins

Started by longspur, February 28, 2013, 02:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longspur

Anybody have martins. I want to get some started but my open space is limited. I've read that you need 60' from trees and power lines. My grandpa had them when I was a kid but I can't remember about the trees. Everything is bigger when your little.

mnturkey

Our neighbor has a house that sits under the power line and there is a tree about 20 feet away.

SEMPER FI

Deputy 14

My dad has them around their house. I know he suspends hollowed out white gourds and stuffs them with pine needles. He told me that they wouldn't go in them until he put pine needles in them.

spurman

I tried for a few years, would have scouts come and stay a few days and leave. My neighbor has dozens each year. When his young leave the nest they would come and stay a few days with me and leave. I finally quit messing with them.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

tjh24

My mom is really into them.  It took her almost ten years to get some to nest.  I know that she had dad cut down trees to give more space around the houses. 

She has a few different houses and then set ups with gourds too.  I know the predators are a big thing (hawks, snakes, starlings, sparrows ) so she has smaller entrances on the houses and gourds.  She also has things to stop snakes and coons from climbing up the poles to the houses.  Like I said, shes pretty serious.

She had dad and I run a cable from the house to the shop (about 100') for the birds to perch on.

She also played a tape called dawnsong through speakers that dad rigged up on the shop. Its just a recording of birds that would attract them.

It took her a while, but now she has about 30 nesting pair.  They are neat to watch, but a lot of work to attract.

Good luck with them!