turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Asking for your opinion

Started by wangchung0121, February 28, 2013, 10:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wangchung0121

I've been around for awhile, but seldom post here (trying to fix that).  I have a couple of questions.  I've only turkey hunted for a couple of years now, and I'm looking for opinions on whether or not you use dekes and what determines your decision.  Also, I know that there are people out there who prefer to run and gun, and there are those who use blinds.  What is your opinion of this?  If you do both, what determines which you do?  I appreciate any insight.  I'm just trying to take advantage of the knowledge here.  Thanks.

Damon

jhcats10

If I'm bow hunting turkeys,I'm in a blind with a jake and hen decoy about 10 yards away. If I'm toting the shotgun, I'll usually only carry a single hen decoy so I can be more mobile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goblr77

I will set up a decoy or decoys in the dark when I know a bird is roosted on a field edge and flying down into the field. Other than that I don't use them a whole lot. If I'm slipping around checking fields and see birds in them I will set up a ways back in the woods and try to draw them to the edge. If you slip up to the edge and call and the gobbler doesn't see a hen it's hard to get him to come sometimes. I hardly ever use decoys while hunting in the woods. I want the gobbler to look for me, not see a decoy and hang up or spook. I never use blinds. Don't like them. If I'm setting up and planning on a long sit I will take along a Cabela's Gobbler Lounger.

ghillie

If I'm stick and string then I'm using a blind.  Shotgunning no blind...

Decoys now, is a different thing.  I tend to use them early in the sesason, depends on the situation.  Did I put the bird to bed the night before...do I have his route figured out..etcetera.  Lots of variables in that but generally in the early season they can help fool that tom.  Late season I have found that decoys can hang birds up, especially in high hunting pressure areas.  More of a stalk or set up on the route without a decoy for me.  Not an ambuse situation but just being where they most likely will be and call them into range....err....or not call at all.

Most of all what I have learned is that if you overthink it...it will be wrong.  I try to rember this accronim....KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid...that seems to work the best for me....blasted turkeys!!  Remind me why I started to hunt these dang critters!!

30_06

I use decoys rarely, and I'm sure this is no help, but my choice is usually based on whether I want to carry the stuff around. Sometimes I base it on whether I want to give my kids a good show of what the turkeys will do.
I find it self satisfying to kill a turkey with gun or bow without the use of a blind or decoys, but sometimes I just really like to sit in the blind with my kids and watch them put on a show with the decoys.

wangchung0121

Thanks for replying.  I appreciate the insight. 

teke

If its suppose to be pouring rain, blind. Otherwise hard to beat a big ole tree trunk. :OGani: