turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I installed a "SpeedBead" sight on my SBE

Started by allaboutshooting, March 05, 2011, 03:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

I installed a Burris "SpeedBead" sight on my SBE a few days ago and have been shooting it, as time and weather allows, since. I picked an early, 1991 model, SBE for this installation. I had to make one modification to make this sight fit. The very early, H&K model guns did not have a hole in the stock, where it attaches to the receiver, like the later models have. I had to drill a small hole to allow the mount to fit.

The contour of the stock (at the receiver, in the wrist area) also required that I cant the mount and then straighten it to fit to the top of the stock and fit into the corresponding holes in the stock and receiver.  Since while doing this, the foam material at the base of the sight must also be fully compressed, it's one of those jobs where 3 hands would come in handy.

Other than that, it all went pretty smoothly.

The barrel that I had on the SBE at the time already had some "Pro Series" open sights installed, and so all I that had to do was position the red dot in line with the properly aligned sights on the gun and I was set. It was right on when I went to the range.

I like the option of being able to use the SB or the open sights just by looking through the SB when it's off. The mount seems very stable and firm. I'll know more of course as I fire more turkey loads through it in the next few weeks.

I'll also be able to remove the FF2 sight, leaving the base in place, when I change to a scoped barrel and then replace the FF2 when I change back, reportedly with no change in the zero. We'll see how that works.

I'll also be able to compare it with some other "dot" type sights I'm currently using on other guns. These others have a selection of  reticles and red/green options, so I'll see just how important these features are to me in my shooting.

I'll let you all know what I find.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BOFF

Clark,

I thought real hard about putting this on my SBEI, as I wasn't keen on drilling and tapping the aluminum receiver. However, I wasn't real sure about the longevity, and the ability of the SpeedBead to maintain zero with the mounting system it has. Honestly, I have only looked at pictures, but it seems to me, it could, be an issue. It appears there isn't much holding the sight to the mounting plate. I'm interested in your findings, and hope it works well for you.

God Bless,
David B.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: BOFF on March 05, 2011, 03:34:50 PM
Clark,

I thought real hard about putting this on my SBEI, as I wasn't keen on drilling and tapping the aluminum receiver. However, I wasn't real sure about the longevity, and the ability of the SpeedBead to maintain zero with the mounting system it has. Honestly, I have only looked at pictures, but it seems to me, it could, be an issue. It appears there isn't much holding the sight to the mounting plate. I'm interested in your findings, and hope it works well for you.

God Bless,
David B.

Hey David,

It seems pretty sturdy but time and some heavy turkey loads should tell the tale.

Thanks,
Clark

SKFOOTER

I have every intention of installing the Speed Bead on my SBE.   But I too am curious about its ability to hold a zero.  Please keep us posted Clark on your patterning sessions.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 05, 2011, 10:27:37 PM
I have every intention of installing the Speed Bead on my SBE.   But I too am curious about its ability to hold a zero.  Please keep us posted Clark on your patterning sessions.

Will do. I plan to shoot it a lot as soon as the rains here quit.

Thanks,
Clark